Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow iMac 21" 2017, 8GB

Hello. My iMac becomes very slow after a few days of use. Memory slowly reach the limit of usability. Last year, with a fake Java update, I caught some kind of virus, and problems began. Following Etrecheck's report, and community advice on similar problems, removed some files, it seemed solved, but maybe it isn't. I know it can depend on the RAM memory (8GB), but since it cannot be opened normally, before doing so I would like to have the opinion of the Community.

I paste Etrecheck report.

Excuse me for my English, and thank you.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, 10.15

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 9:23 AM

You have an enormous amount of very old system extensions, launch agents and daemons.

Some of them have been abandoned for years.

It seems clear that this system has been upgraded in place for several major versions of the OS.

It is clearly time to get it in order.

Make a full backup, preferably two: Time Machine plus a full bootable clone, on separate drives.

Make an installer usb thumb drive. Erase and install.

Then migrate but only the user accounts, not applications, settings or other files.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2020 9:23 AM in response to MaxBoris

You have an enormous amount of very old system extensions, launch agents and daemons.

Some of them have been abandoned for years.

It seems clear that this system has been upgraded in place for several major versions of the OS.

It is clearly time to get it in order.

Make a full backup, preferably two: Time Machine plus a full bootable clone, on separate drives.

Make an installer usb thumb drive. Erase and install.

Then migrate but only the user accounts, not applications, settings or other files.

Slow iMac 21" 2017, 8GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.