Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

losing photos from iCloud when you delete them from your device

First off I want to be clear that I'm not really ranting as I love the iCloud feature but I don't like that Apple, during all this time, hasn't implemented a way around losing photos from iCloud when you delete them from your device.

There has got to be a way to develop an easy software update to be able to keep your photos on iCloud while deleting them on your phone to save room. I don't want to use third party services like Google as I'm already paying for iCloud and I have more than 15gb of photos and videos so paying for another service would be a waste of money to me.

Does anyone think this is possible? I think I've seen it on other softwares where if you delete your photos or other media you don't lose them in their cloud service. Is Apple looking into this or are they content in users filling up their phones and having to delete what they don't want.

Again this is not a rant but it does cause a little frustration as I just bought a pro max with 64gb of storage but I see that I've already used quite a bit of space in photos and wallpapers and a few videos.

Thank you to anyone for a reply to this.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 2:28 AM

Hi, if you go to settings/pictures and then press optimize iPhone storage all of your photos shouldn’t take up more space than a few megabytes. I have around 2500 photos and a lot of videos and in the “pictures” tab under storage it only takes up 200mb.

I hope this helps.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2020 2:28 AM in response to aggressivility

Hi, if you go to settings/pictures and then press optimize iPhone storage all of your photos shouldn’t take up more space than a few megabytes. I have around 2500 photos and a lot of videos and in the “pictures” tab under storage it only takes up 200mb.

I hope this helps.

Aug 1, 2020 6:41 PM in response to aggressivility

Is Apple looking into this or are they content in users filling up their phones and having to delete what they don't want.

While this may not be a rant, you are asking a question that speaks to Apple policy. that is not permitted here either. Nobody here would know what Apple is looking in to. Your question skews to negative.

This is how iCloud photos is designed to work at present. It is your choice to "fill up your phone" You don't need to delete photos, as there are many options to offload them.

iCloud's primary design is more of convenience than storage. Having your entire photo library available on multiple devices is what it does best. The amount of storage on your device is finite. iCloud can help with some level of off device storage with optimization.

If another cloud based service suits your needs, use it.

Otherwise, feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Aug 1, 2020 2:46 AM in response to aggressivility

Okay, the quality isn’t decreased so that you could actually see a difference, and when you send a picture to someone, or, set a wallpaper from your photos, the full picture is first automatically downloaded so you get the full version. 🙂

losing photos from iCloud when you delete them from your device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.