Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall macOS

I am attempting to factory reset my 2016 macbook pro, I have erased the hard drive and when attempting to install macOS from the Utilities screen I get the following message "an error occurred while preparing the installation".

I have checked the date in Terminal which is correct. I have also attempted the install multiple times. Can anyone please assist? I have added a photo of the hard drive if that helps?

Thank you

MacBook Pro 15″, 10.11

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 12:35 PM

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later.

Command (⌘)-R Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Release the keys when you see the Apple logo, a spinning globe, or a prompt for a firmware password. When you see the Utilities window, you've started up from macOS Recovery.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2020 12:35 PM in response to Meanmrmustard1836

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later.

Command (⌘)-R Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Release the keys when you see the Apple logo, a spinning globe, or a prompt for a firmware password. When you see the Utilities window, you've started up from macOS Recovery.

Reinstall macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.