Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does AppleCare+ cover?

I recently purchased AppleCare+ for my iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and AirPods. I bought them to protect against drop or water damage, but a friend recently mentioned to me that AppleCare+ may not cover water damage. Is this true? What exactly does AppleCare+ cover for all of the above mentioned devices? Water damage? Drop damage?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 7:15 PM

11 replies

Aug 1, 2020 9:49 PM in response to azolnierek

The detailed terms have always been available to read before buying.

For AppleCare+ see -> Legal - AppleCare+ - Apple. AppleCare+ doesn’t add anything to the default one year warranty coverage, it merely extends the period of coverage. And It offers reduced fees for things that void the warranty and require an out of warranty repair.

For AppleCare+ with theft and loss coverage, see -> https://assurantdeviceclaim.com/InsuranceDocuments

Watwr damage is not covered at all, not by the default one year warranty, not by AppleCare+ nor AppleCare+ with theft and loss. The extended warranties merely reduce the fees for repairing water damage.

Aug 1, 2020 8:15 PM in response to azolnierek

AppleCare+ service fees

Screen damage

$29.00

Any other accidental damage

$99.00

https://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone/

Accidental damage is damage you caused.

It covers water damage as long as you have the device in your possession.

You might have a hard time if you tell Apple you went scuba diving and used your phone to take pictures or you admit you blew the device up with a stick of dynamite.

Aug 1, 2020 8:15 PM in response to azolnierek

With AppleCare+ if you drop your phone in the pool and it is damaged as a result, you can use one of the two replacements you have access to for the reduced replacement cost. That is accidental damage.

As can been in this link, screen replacement if you damage your screen is $29 and full replacement if the phone is damaged in a way which cannot be repaired is $99 --> iPhone Repair - Official Apple Support

Aug 5, 2020 9:08 PM in response to Michael Black

Hi, I’m a bit confused by your response. Everyone else seems to think water damage is covered under the AppleCare+ as accidental damage. Of course I’d have to pay a replacement fee, but the whole point of AppleCare+ is that you can fix/replace it for a small fee instead of full price. What do you mean that it reduces the fee for repairing water damage— isn’t this what the whole point of AppleCare+ is? Just like health insurance doesn’t “cover” a trip to the doctor, but it makes it cheap when it would normally be expensive.

To put it another way— does AppleCare+ allow you to get a cheap repair for water damage, like how it would if you dropped and broke your phone?

Aug 5, 2020 10:26 PM in response to deggie

I am not incorrect. All accidental damage via AppleCare+ does is reduce the fee for the out of warranty replacement under AppleCare+ (and it only does that on top of the purchase fee for AppleCare+). Water damage voids the warranty as explicitly explained in the terms of the warranty and the AppleCare+ terms.

AppleCare+ does nothing more than provide a means to reduce the out of warranty fee. As I already explained in my previous post. It does not negate the voiding of the warranty in the event of water damage nor does it negate the fact the repair is made out of warranty. All it does is reduce the fee for an out of warranty replacement due to a voided a warranty.

Call it semantics all you want, but the simple fact is water damage voids your warranty. All that remains is do you pay the full out of warranty replacement cost, or, after already paying a premium for Aapplecare+, you pay a further, but reduced out of warranty replacement fee.

But nothing I previously posted was incorrect.

Aug 5, 2020 10:37 PM in response to deggie

Again, I don’t see any ambiguity in what I originally wrote, so. I do not understand the statement I was incorrect. I never said water damage was out.

I even wrote “Watwr damage is not covered at all, not by the default one year warranty, not by AppleCare+ nor AppleCare+ with theft and loss. The extended warranties merely reduce the fees for repairing water damage.”

How did that warrant a comment I was wrong in what I said?

What does AppleCare+ cover?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.