You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

weird charging

I have an iPhone XR and I’m using a fairly fast charger to charge it (obviously). Ever since past 3 or 4 days my phone has been charging normally until it reaches like 80%. When it hits 80% it literally does nothing. It gets stuck on 80% for like an hour and then goes to 81%. (it doesn’t necessarily get stuck on 80%, today it got stuck on 88%). And yeah, I don’t know if this is a software issue or what, but it’s really annoying and I need hours of charge to get to 100%.

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 12:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 12:58 AM

With iOS 13 and later, Optimized Battery Charging is designed to reduce the wear on your battery and improve its lifespan by reducing the time your iPhone spends fully charged. When the feature is enabled, your iPhone will delay charging past 80% in certain situations.

About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple ...

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 2, 2020 12:58 AM in response to filipsijan

With iOS 13 and later, Optimized Battery Charging is designed to reduce the wear on your battery and improve its lifespan by reducing the time your iPhone spends fully charged. When the feature is enabled, your iPhone will delay charging past 80% in certain situations.

About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple ...

Aug 2, 2020 8:07 AM in response to filipsijan

Yes but by performing a Forced ReStart as shown below-

Try and Force Restart your iPhone exactly as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF).  

Axel F.

Aug 2, 2020 2:00 AM in response to filipsijan

It was charging normally with the Optimized Battery Charging until the iPhone learns the charging habits. At that point, the software makes assumptions and decides when to complete the charge from 80% to 100%.

Why don't you turn that feature OFF. Reboot your iPhone. And then monitor the charging again. If things work normally then you can decide whether to turn that feature ON again.

Axel F.

weird charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.