Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have been logged out by some one and cannot log in to my Mac book air again. please can someone assist

How do i log in with my user name and password again?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 1:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 3:11 AM

I am not sure how passwords were shared , did you purchased the Mac directly from apple authorised store see this article also https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT202860

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mtusr001/mac

5 replies

Aug 3, 2020 3:08 AM in response to Mrs_DM

• Close all applications and shut down the computer , press command , R and power key simultaneously , release only power key and keep on holding command and R key until apple logo appears , the bar starts loading let it be completed .

• Select the language as English , go to utilities on top menu bar > Utilities > Terminal execute a command resetpassword and click on enter key .

• A window will appear if you can’t login to your computer because you forgot your password , you can reset it now .
  • Enter new password ……
  • Verify password ….
  • Hint … 
  • Enter the credentials and click on next .

• It will show your account password has been reset , you may restart and sign in using new password , click on exit to recovery utilities , go to apple logo and restart the Mac .

• A pop up appears - google password required enter your password for gmail address in internet accounts showing close and continue .

• In the centre of the desktop a pop up appears this Mac can’t connect to iCloud because of a problem with Apple ID , open Apple ID preferences to fix this problem ( a ) later ( b ) Apple ID preferences , click on apple id preferences , the system preferences open , you have to enter Apple ID password and click on next the box of keychain is found to be unchecked .

• Take cursor on the empty keychain box and tap it , it shows upgrade your account security to enable iCloud Keychain , review and upgrade your Apple ID settings ( a ) cancel ( b ) continue , click on continue .Again enter your Apple ID password to set up iCloud account and click on ok , in front of keychain box the circle rotates showing setting up .

• Again a pop up appears the password you use to unlock this Mac will able to used to access saved passwords and other sensitive data you store in iCloud - so enter the latest new password that you reset through terminal window .

• Again a pop up appears enter the password you use to unlock the Mac book access to your account is protected by the password you previously used to unlock this Mac book , your password is encrypted and cannot be read by apple — enter old admin password and click on continue , circle rotates the box of keychain will get checked after some time , still the circle rotates and finally it will stop .

On the top right corner of Mac a pop up is showing google password required showing later and continue , click on continue a pop up appears enter the password for gmail address , google requires complete authentication in your web browser ( a ) cancel ( b ) open safari , click on open safari .

Accounts page opens click on next and enter your gmail password , quit system preferences and close google window also quit safari all pop ups are gone .

Click on finder , take cursor on top menu bar > Go > hold option key and click on library > in keychain folder you can see login_rename…Keychain -db 

The admin password is changed ( don’t delete any subfolders in keychain folder , that will corrupt complete system keychain settings ) .

Reset the password in the above step -

• Again a pop up appears enter the password you use to unlock the Mac book access to your account is protected by the password you previously used to unlock this Mac book , your password is encrypted and cannot be read by apple — enter old admin password and click on continue , circle rotates the box of keychain will get checked after some time , still the circle rotates and finally it will stop .

Don’t enter old admin password in the above step three options were shown ( as I just want to reset it ) .

• Again a pop up appears enter the password you use to unlock the Mac book access to your account is protected by the password you previously used to unlock this Mac book , your password is encrypted and cannot be read by apple ( in the bottom end of the pop up window ) options would be shown ( a ) Forgot password ? ( b ) cancel ( c ) continue .

• Click on forgot password .

• If you can’t remember the password for the Mac book you can enter the password or passcode of one of your other devices or reset your end to end encrypted data to finish setting up icloud ( a ) reset encrypted data ( b ) cancel ( c ) choose device .

• Click on reset encrypted data , in user library > keychain folder the previous login folder will be deactivated and a new empty keychain folder will be created , you have to restart the Mac , in the upcoming window enter admin name and new password - Finally the password is reset .

Clicking option ( c ) use a device passcode that will be using an iPhone , sign in with same Apple ID and password in an iPhone and generate a passcode , use this passcode to reset admin password from the Mac that is still in recovery mode .

Aug 3, 2020 2:09 AM in response to Mrs_DM

It seems previously you were sharing admin password with some one on the same Mac and the admin password has changed by the person , also one possible reason is both have admin accounts in users and groups .

Now your admin account is deleted and the person admin account and its password is active .

The credentials are not known , at present is Mac in your custody ? answer back the admin password can be reset in recovery mode .

I have been logged out by some one and cannot log in to my Mac book air again. please can someone assist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.