You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering data from the HD of a dead Mac

My 2011 21.5 iMac has died and I've bought a replacement but would like to recover the data on the old Mac's HD. I dismantled and removed the WD HD and bought a suitable cable but it won't run outside the computer when plugged in to my new Mac. I've reassembled it and it does start and run and the fan is running but there's nowt on the screen. Can I transfer data via firewire or thunderbolt? I've neither cable at the moment and don't really want to buy one unless I can transfer data.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 10:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 11:17 AM

Remove the drive from the old computer and use a bare-drive adapter to connect it via USB to the new computer (I'm assuming the new one is also an iMac with USB ports--you didn't say).

This is a bare-drive adapter:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NV2SPATA/

It includes a power supply to spin up the old drive.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 4, 2020 11:17 AM in response to sunnyjohn

Remove the drive from the old computer and use a bare-drive adapter to connect it via USB to the new computer (I'm assuming the new one is also an iMac with USB ports--you didn't say).

This is a bare-drive adapter:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NV2SPATA/

It includes a power supply to spin up the old drive.

Aug 4, 2020 11:50 AM in response to sunnyjohn

Great! As you already know how to take it apart, you have 2/3rds of the battle won!

Here's a tip in case you have to live through this again: I was in the same boat when my 2010 iMac died suddenly in 2018. I didn't have to extract the old drive! Several years before I'd added a second external drive to the 2010 used exclusively for bootable backups made with Carbon Copy Cloner.

It proved far easier to use the newest CCC back to recover files than with Time Machine. I don't like Migration Assistant and so set up new computers by transferring only my data files. None were lost.

You don't need a huge drive because you can tell CCC how long to keep backup. I've set mine for a generous 45 days and it is using less than 500GB of a 1TB external. Set to 14 days and I bet you could get by with a 256GB drive.

That won't help with the dead one but it is something to consider with the new one. The nice thing is this method can recover data without involving suction cups and a screwdriver!

Aug 5, 2020 12:13 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks, Allan.

I do back up regularly via SuperDuper to a 1TB EDD. I have two EDD's, one acting as my archive. So I did have a bootable back up but was unable to boot the dead Mac from it. The problem I had was that when I got the new iMac and copied files across (like you, I don't like Migration assistant), Catalina lost two years of my emails in Apple Mail. This seems to be a problem and I've read reports of other folk losing emails or having them moved and then disappearing. Catalina seemed to have corrupted my mail boxes and when I added a message to them, it disappeared. So I downgraded to Mojave but to do that you have to erase the HD, Hence I lost some of my old files, although I did back up before I downgraded. I really want to access my old HD so that I can recover my emails. I'll post here to let you know how I get on. The cable you recommended is on its way. Thanks again for your advice.

Recovering data from the HD of a dead Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.