Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tr.snapchat.com Popup Window

Occasionally three tabs will popup in Safari. One is tr.snapchat.com and the other two just say "tr". Then audio starts playing from a star trek episode. I know its star trek because it says "previously on star trek discover..." It cannot be turned off. I can force quit all of the running apps and it still plays. I checked the host file to see if it was there, but there is only three lines in the host file. I do not and have never visited snap chat. I also have not watched star trek discovery on my mac (or any other computer). This popup will happen randomly, not related to any specific website I am visiting. It will even popup when Safari is closed. The audio cannot be paused or turned down. The only way to get the audio to stop is to restart the computer.

Does anyone know what this thing is and how do I stop it from loading audio?

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 1:42 PM

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items.  Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. The following won't work in OS Mojave or Catalina. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Quit/reopen Safari and test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2020 1:42 PM in response to Bowyer_Bob

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items.  Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. The following won't work in OS Mojave or Catalina. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Quit/reopen Safari and test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Sep 10, 2020 10:09 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you Eric. I have tried these suggestions, but no luck. I do not have any extensions in safari. I am running Mojavie 10.14.6. and Safari 12.1.2.

I have talked to CBS streaming service (the audio that plays is from a streaming service that is only available through CBS All Access), and they tell me that their service is not even compatible with Safari. This is a service that I do not have.

One of the most puzzling things is the audio that is playing does not show up in the list of programs that are running. It will also start own its own even when safari is not running. Safari will popup with these tabs open and the audio will start playing. I can force quit safari, but the audio does not stop.

Here are the tabs that popup:

https://tr.snapchat.com/cm/i?pid=31c00c1e-735e-450d-b7a2-511aac54ebe7

https://tr.snapchat.com/p

https://www.facebook.com/tr/

I can send screen shots or anything else that may help diagnose the trouble.

Bowyer_Bob

tr.snapchat.com Popup Window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.