Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the docs on reporting spam text messages in Messages is wrong.

So, what is the real way to do it?

because there is no "report junk" link/button. There's no button at all. I JUST KEEP GETTING MORE AND MORE SPAM IN MESSAGES.

iPhone XR

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 12:45 PM

10 replies

Aug 6, 2020 6:59 PM in response to Edward Devlin1

Hey there Edward Devlin1,

Hope all is well, and thanks for the request for information.

In this case, you can filter iMessages from people who aren't saved in your Contacts. As you may know, filtering them and blocking them are different.

The reason they won't show up to sort in filtering, is because there is no need for a block number to be filtered. If you have the message still in your list you can manually delete the message. You should not continue to receive from the blocked number going forward.

If you have a message that was not already blocked or saved to your contacts, the system will try to determine if the message is possibly junk. This is when you should see the Report Junk option. However "Reporting junk doesn't block the sender from being able to send another message." You will need to manage the message accordingly. You can find out more about this here: Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

If these features are not working as expected, you may be able to Contact Apple Support where you are located.

Best wishes!

Aug 28, 2020 2:20 PM in response to CarlAVII

PsyDye,

thanks for your reply.

my system does not work at all how you describe it. I get ZERO instances where the "report junk" link shows up. ZERO.

I do happen to have thousands of blocked numbers, which at the time I started blocking, was the only possible solution I had available to me. Blocking a spam number is a complete waste of my time and effort. REPORTING spam is slightly less wasteful of my time, and Auto identifying spam... that's not a reality. Neither my carrier, nor my phone seems to have any success in identifying unsolicited spam.

I keep getting incorrect advice on how this system actually works. We're growing in this stuff. We need reliable tools.

Aug 28, 2020 2:29 PM in response to deggie

and this is where I tell you in no uncertain terms: you are wrong.

my phone is factory. the only updates done to it are prescribed Apple updates.

if I could attach images I would.

nobody uses the iMessage system to send spam. So if you're telling me that Apple only tries to filter those... they wasted their engineering efforts. I do get green and no color texts. I get them all the time. and I will reiterate: my phone is 100% legit.

Aug 28, 2020 2:54 PM in response to Edward Devlin1

Then you do not have white bubbles....except for the little bubble that pops up with the 3 alternating dots when someone is responding. And I agree, the companies that are sending out spam don't use iMessage because that cuts out all the non-iPhone users. But Apple can only build in blocks and filters for iMessage because that is a closed system that belongs to Apple. SMS and MMS are systems controlled by cell service providers, Apple cannot write filter and blocked the same way they do for iMessage. You need to go after your congress critters and cell service providers to get them to do a better job of handling SMS and MMS.

Aug 28, 2020 2:59 PM in response to deggie

I never said white bubbles.

they are light gray. and I do have them. I find it ridiculous that you are trying to tell me that I do not. I know precisely what I am seeing. I see green messages from clearly non-Apple phones, Blue messages from iPhones, and gray messages that sometimes come from all of the above. I don't have an explanation for it... it's just what is there, very clearly.

I think I understand better the political/economic/technical rats nest informing what Apple can do in this mess, so thank you.

the docs on reporting spam text messages in Messages is wrong.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.