Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Store models - low resolution displays

Has anybody else noticed how at certain retailers (I was at CompUSA) the 14" iBooks seem to be set to a lower resolution than normal. I thought I was seeing things, but I took my own iBook out of my backpack, and the text overall was smaller and sharper. Makes you wonder if they are trying to push people to the PowerBook by making the iBook look as crummy as possible? (Not too hard since they're almost always dirty and smudgy.)

iBook G4, 1.42 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.3), 1 GB RAM

Posted on Nov 29, 2005 8:15 PM

3 replies

Nov 29, 2005 8:21 PM in response to prospervic

Hi Prospervic

The reason why the iBook 14" looks "crummy" is because it has the same resolution as the 12", just stretched out. Its like enlarging a photo by dragging the conner. The more you drag the worse the resolution gets. Do you understand what I'm saying?

I hope that helps,
Jon

PS CompUSA in my opinion is not the best place to go for Apple products. Go to your local Apple Store to get a better idea of Apple computers.

Nov 30, 2005 9:27 AM in response to --JB--

Yes, I'm well aware of the blown-up low resolution. Maybe its just relative. In the store the text on the new PowerBook display looks painfully tiny to me. While on the adjacent 14" iBook, iTunes has huge, blurry text. I've never seen iTunes look that way on MY iBook. When I use my iBook at home it looks smaller and sharper. I'm using it now, and it looks great.

Oh well. I guess you should never look at Playboy bunnies if you're satisfied with your wife.

Nov 30, 2005 1:19 PM in response to prospervic

I believe you can change that in System Preferences by changing the resolution. The Powerbook has better resolution then the iBook I would guess because a lot of professionals use it. Many professionals use it for complex editing of photos and videos, as well as other things. Another thing is, if you can't see the font real well (I can't), go to Universal Access. From there you can turn on magnification or zoom (can't remember the specific name) which will zoom in on the text making it bigger.

I hope that helps,
Jon

Store models - low resolution displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.