You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro A1502 Hardware Crashed while upgrading to Catalina

Hi All ,

My MacBook Pro A1502 , was working fine with Mojave OS , then I tried to upgrade to Catalina , I took the time machine backup ( Luckily ) and downloaded Catalina OS , and then did install , the installation progress was showing half way and then .. total Black screen .. MacBook just switched off !! and I was not able to get it back up . I kept trying the long press on the power button , but nothing happened . It just won't boot up !!

I took it to the Apple Service Centre , they checked the MBP , they were able to get the power ON over there but then they told me that the SSD was dead . I was surprised , how an OS update can affect the hardware ?? They said it might be a coincidence that the SSD crashed while I tried the upgrade . Well although sceptic , I accepted it and was looking to get a new SSD .

Since this MacBook Pro A1502 is out of warranty and has an old SSD model ( M.2 adapter) , it was really hard to source, especially during this Corona time. Finally after 3 months I got a replacement SSD yesterday . I fixed it and was able to download the OS X using internet recovery , Ctrl R and then had OS X installed . The OS X was working fine !! Then, I again downloaded the Catalina from the App store, attached picture , ( just took the pic , as it was long time seeing OS X version, never knew it would become evidence ) and after the download , it asked for Install and said ok , and then again I saw the progress bar on the installation and then complete black out AGAIN !! the system won't start up now as before !!

This is really frustrating and I just signed up to this community , hoping APPLE will help me ! I just got this new SSD and I just hope that its not crashed again. I will take to the Apple Service centre tomorrow to find out . But I never expected this from Apple !! How can an OS actually affect the Hardware ?? Still don't understand ? .. Now that this MacBook is out of warranty , wonder and hope , would APPLE help me, for their fault in the OS !! Now I am scared to do any upgrades to my other MacBook Air .. Totally lost confidence .. With so many bugs in Catalina , wonder what affects will OS BigSur do .. Well atleast an option to roll back , to the old OS would have been good .. But hardware failure and REPLACING PARTS because of the OS upgrade !! its totally not accepted !! APPLE Kindly Support , I would really appreciate it !! Expect that you will take care of your customers.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 1:13 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Macbook Pro A1502 Hardware Crashed while upgrading to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.