Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what happens to Apple ID when transferring to new computer?

I have a new MacBook Air for my spouse.

I'm about to transfer content from a MacBook Pro 2009 to a new MacBook Air. I will use Setup or Migration Assistant.

Each computer is assigned to a different Apple ID. Is this a problem? The MBP has my ID (my spouse has an admin account on it as she used it) and the new Air will have my spouse's ID. Can this work so that the Air ends up with her ID? Or do I somehow need to change my ID on the 2009 to hers first then transfer?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 6:28 PM

You should be able to transfer it as is. Since your wife has an admin account, she will be able to control the computer. Having your account transfer shouldn't cause any problems and will provide a backup admin account for troubleshooting as required. Your account can sit there and not be used on a day-to-day basis.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2020 6:28 PM in response to Bruce L.

You should be able to transfer it as is. Since your wife has an admin account, she will be able to control the computer. Having your account transfer shouldn't cause any problems and will provide a backup admin account for troubleshooting as required. Your account can sit there and not be used on a day-to-day basis.

what happens to Apple ID when transferring to new computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.