Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to upgrade my iMac to Mojave, version10.14.6. Can I do that, instead of upgrading to macOS Catalina?

I want to upgrade my iMac to Mojave, version10.14.6. Can I do that, instead of upgrading to macOS Catalina?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 6:34 AM

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

9 replies

Aug 7, 2020 5:20 PM in response to Barney-15E

I tried Barney-15's advice on upgrading to macOS Mojave. But it didn't work, even after trying it numerous times. The message I received, just before the iMac was to restart was the following:

An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.

In one of the earlier attempts an 'incompatibility' installer was run. But that didn't solve the problem either.

GatoFlaco2020

Aug 8, 2020 10:46 AM in response to GatoFlaco2020

I will offer some thoughts, assuming that your Mac is one that can accept Mojave. Sometimes a downloaded installer file can become corrupted. We keep trying to install it and it never works, but we have no way of knowing it was corrupted. Better to drag the installer to the trash, empty it and try a new download. That said, corruption is most likely to happen when we are downloading it via wifi. A lot of data is being downloaded and often the wifi can't handle it. Multiple attempts may be needed to get a clean download. If you can use a wired ethernet connection, it is far better, even if you have to temporarily move your computer to do it. Good luck.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.