Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Avast Security

During the time that the Apple Stores here in NYC were all closed, I had to have my MacBook Pro repaired. The repair is fine, but the repair person installed the free version of Avast Security on my MacBook. Since that time, nearly every website I visit, even if I have visited it thousands of times, results in a your connection is not private" error message and doesn't allow me to sign on to the website. This is making it very difficult for me to accomplish my daily work and pleasure activities. Is this a common Avast problem, and should I just uninstall it (if so, how?). Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 7:06 AM

You should only use the Apple Store, or Apple Certified Repair entities for Apple product repair. They should have the common sense not to install anti-virus, or any other unauthorized software on your Mac.

I would file a complaint with that repair facilities owner about their installing unauthorized software on your Mac.

The first step, as mentoned, is to remove all of Avast.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2020 7:06 AM in response to julia r.

You should only use the Apple Store, or Apple Certified Repair entities for Apple product repair. They should have the common sense not to install anti-virus, or any other unauthorized software on your Mac.

I would file a complaint with that repair facilities owner about their installing unauthorized software on your Mac.

The first step, as mentoned, is to remove all of Avast.

Aug 7, 2020 7:16 AM in response to VikingOSX

It's weird, because it was an Apple Certified Repair Entity. giving them the benefit of the doubt, I think they may have used Avast to do a scan, and forgotten to uninstall it before I picked up my laptop. In any event, I uninstalled Avast this morning, and my laptop is running better already. Thanks everyone for your help.

Aug 7, 2020 9:32 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Bob, Neither can I, but all I know for certain is: 1) I DID NOT put Avast on my laptop; 2) Avast wasn't there when I brought the laptop in for repair; 3) Avast was there when I got the laptop back. So, I concluded (maybe wrongly) that Avast entered my laptop while it was in the shop. In any event, AVAST is now gone (thanks!) and my laptop is running much better. I suppose it's possible that AVAST entered as Malware, but I am very careful about not opening unfamiliar e-mails and not clicking on links, but whatever. I'm just glad AVAST is out of my life.

Avast Security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.