Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos won't launch after upgrade to Mojave

Hi all,

I upgraded my iMac (Retina 5K, 27", late 2014) to Mojave a few months ago and since then I can't launch Photos on my main user account (it works fine in another user account on the same Mac).

I just get the 'Photos quit unexpectedly' message.

I've tried "option-cmd" on launch to open a new library but it won't launch - just goes straight to the above message.

My software is up to date - 10.14.6

Is it possible to reinstall Mojave to fix this? Is it possible to just reinstall Photos? Or is there anything else I can do? Can I go back to High Sierra?

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 3:51 AM

How are you trying to launch Photos? And what happens when you try?

Photos seems to be correctly installed, since you can launch it from a different user account. Perhaps you are using a wrong link in your main account. The Dock icon of an alias on the Desktop may be tied to the older version.

Try to launch Photos by clicking the Photos.app directly in the folder Applications. Does Photos launch correctly when you start it from the Applications folder?

If yes, delete the old Dock icon or the old alias on your Desktop.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2020 3:51 AM in response to panoranik

How are you trying to launch Photos? And what happens when you try?

Photos seems to be correctly installed, since you can launch it from a different user account. Perhaps you are using a wrong link in your main account. The Dock icon of an alias on the Desktop may be tied to the older version.

Try to launch Photos by clicking the Photos.app directly in the folder Applications. Does Photos launch correctly when you start it from the Applications folder?

If yes, delete the old Dock icon or the old alias on your Desktop.

Photos won't launch after upgrade to Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.