Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac late 2012 as a monitor for iMac 2020?

I have a brand new iMac and an older one from 2012 that I want to use as a monitor. Will it work? I know that it was working from Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt but the new connector is USB C. So I should come out from the new iMac with a USB C and come into the other one with a Thunderbolt 2. Should I use an adaptor USB C male to Thunderbolt female then a Thunderbolt male-male? Or a cable USC C to Thunderbolt if it exists ?

Thank you

Marc

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 9:25 AM

9 replies

Aug 7, 2020 9:59 AM in response to VikingOSX

Didn't Apple just recently update this information to include 2020 Macs

I rechecked the article immediately before posting this and the language is the same as the screenshot--2019 and older. The last revision to the support article was April 21, 2020. One of our hosts confirmed the TDM/2020 models change last week (as I recall).

...though with the continuing restriction that the 2012 iMac must be a 27 inch model

The 2012, regardless of screen size, always worked:

Yes, the OS on the target computer must be 10.13 or older.

Aug 7, 2020 4:57 PM in response to MarcDeCoster

The correct connection is a Thunderbolt 3 adapter

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

plugged into a Thunderbolt 3 port on the new iMac and a Thunderbolt cable

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD862LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-05-m

from the adapter to the old iMac.

If your new iMac is more than a week old, it is the 2019 model, so should work. If it's the brand new one just announced a few days ago, then it's the 2020 model, and according to the recently updated Apple article, won't be able to use another iMac in Target Display Mode.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Aug 11, 2020 1:18 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Hi guys. Here is the feedback.

IT WORKS

My new Imac was older than the one just announced so it seems that it is still a 2019.

I had to downgrade my OS on the IMac used as a Target Display (I had to format and install High Sierra, it doesn't work with a newer OS)

Connect both IMAc with Adaptor USBC-Thunderbolt 2 + male-male thunderbolt 2 cable.

Cmd + F2 on the second one, and bim, Target Display is on.

Thanx for your help

Marc

Imac late 2012 as a monitor for iMac 2020?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.