Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did I have trouble installing new RAM in 2020 Mac mini

Why did I have trouble installing new RAM in 2020 Mac mini.

I bought 2 32MB RAM chips to upgrade my store bought 2020 Mac mini from 8 MB to 64 Mb. I got Crucial RAM at Amazon for about $289 versus APPLEs in-store upgrade cost of $1,000 for then addidional 56 MB of RAM that I would be adding to the base.

First of all... WHAT A RIP-OFF. I know we all know that Apple charges exorbitant prices, but with So much money in the bank and a Market Cap of almost $2 TRILLION for a company that in 1999 had it's obituary written for it 5 times (!) and was valued at just $ 1billion, they need to practice a bit of humility and treat long time customers like me, who have NEVER owned a WINTEL machine, with a bit more respect.

That was an aside. When I took the actual Crucial RAM chips to my local computer store for installation, the geek had to order a special tool just to install the **** RAM and then he said the chips that were the ones recommended to buy at EVERY website everywhere were about a mm too tall and would not be put I'm place AND allow the silver fence like heat shield to be replaced. So he installed the RAM, did NOT put the heat shield or whatever that piece is back, and it's running fine.

First off, does APPLE install proprietary RAM a tiny bit smaller than ALL other commercial RAM you use to upgrade?

Two - was the geek right?

And Three - will it run OK without the heat shield thing over the longterm?

No one I talked to knew about this or had run into the upgrade problem. It appears to be working fine at home and the 64 MB is recognized and runs just fine....

ANY OTHER thoughts not this? Thanks SO much,

Mark

PS I logged into this site using my Apple ID - why does my name come up as jimmy2021 when I look above. I have never used that as an alias, nor do I have a jimmy on my account - now or have I ever???? See above.... What gives????

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 3:55 AM

Remember you are not talking to Apple here, just other users, like yourself. So your opinions on the cost of RAM and so on, while endlessly fascinating to you, are just verbiage on the way to the query.

You've bought and installed non-standard RAM. It might last forever, or die tomorrow. Heat shields aren't there for decoration. Good luck with it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2020 3:55 AM in response to jimmy2021

Remember you are not talking to Apple here, just other users, like yourself. So your opinions on the cost of RAM and so on, while endlessly fascinating to you, are just verbiage on the way to the query.

You've bought and installed non-standard RAM. It might last forever, or die tomorrow. Heat shields aren't there for decoration. Good luck with it.

Aug 8, 2020 5:53 AM in response to jimmy2021

jimmy2021 wrote:
...my local computer store for installation, the geek had to order a special tool just to install the **** RAM and then he said the chips that were the ones recommended to buy at EVERY website everywhere were about a mm too tall and would not be put I'm place AND allow the silver fence like heat shield to be replaced. So he installed the RAM, did NOT put the heat shield or whatever that piece is back, and it's running fine....

Big mistake taking to a shop that is not an Apple Authorized Service Provider

because they would have had all the proper tools to work on any Mac. Second

big mistake, by doing so you have just voided your warranty and if any

problems occur, any expense to repair will come out of your pocket.

Why did I have trouble installing new RAM in 2020 Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.