Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting files from my Macintosh Hard Drive

I have recently set up my iMac to use an external SSD as it's start up disc. This is working very well.

I also use iCloud for my docs and files. However, when I search for a document or file it is showing me a source both on iCloud and on the Macintosh HD. Is it safe to delete the files on the original HD or will this affect my iCloud storage?

Thank you for any hep or advice.

GG

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 1:34 AM

The iCloud files on your original internal iMac hard drive are the ones from before you started booting up (using) your external SSD.

If everything is syncing with the external SSD, and not with the old hard drive, then you can safely delete the ones on your hard drive.

It's good that you have already backed up, so nothing to worry about, if something goes wrong.

Goodluck!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2020 1:34 AM in response to gadgetgirlie

The iCloud files on your original internal iMac hard drive are the ones from before you started booting up (using) your external SSD.

If everything is syncing with the external SSD, and not with the old hard drive, then you can safely delete the ones on your hard drive.

It's good that you have already backed up, so nothing to worry about, if something goes wrong.

Goodluck!

Aug 8, 2020 3:57 PM in response to gadgetgirlie

I may be wrong. but it is my understanding that iCloud mirrors what we have on the hard drive, that we have instructed it to mirror. It is not a back up program. It is for sharing between computers Therefore, I would not delete any files I wanted to keep. This implies to me that you may not otherwise have a system back up??? If this is the case, I would invest in another external drive for that purpose.

Deleting files from my Macintosh Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.