Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My Iphone Update won't install

Trying to update Find My IPhone on iPod Touch and get error 'Unable to Download App, Find My IPhone could not be installed at this time'. I retry and continue to get the same error. The update is for Version 4.0 Sept 17 2014. What do I need to do to update this app and why is it such an outdated update?

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 9:57 PM

A most unhelpful and incorrect answer‼️ The accompanying notes indicate that the update restores compatibility with iOS 8.0 and upwards, & my device (iPad v3) is running iOS 9.3.6, so there should be no reason why this update continually fails to take.

Try again, investigate & do better please...

59 replies

Aug 15, 2020 9:57 AM in response to airmanchairman

I’m having exactly the same problem with my iPad. It is running iOS 9.3.5. The App Store says that it is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. It also says it requires iOS 8.0 _or later_. So it should work with iOS 9 on these devices! Also if the update is incompatible with the device then why does it try to update it in the first place?! I find I can’t delete the app so that it does not appear in the update queue. I am planning on upgrading my iPad anyway but can’t see why my current iPad won’t update the app.

Sep 29, 2020 10:12 PM in response to VivaDjinn

I can help you with your lost apps.

From https://macreports.com/how-to-install-apps-on-older-devices-running-older-versions-of-ios/

1. First make sure that you are signed in with the Apple ID that you used to bought the app originally.
  2. Open the App Store app on your device.
  3. Find the Purchased tab and My Purchases. Here you can see all the apps you have installed previously.
  4. Find the app you want to install
  5. Tap the iCloud icon
  6. A popup will appear and you will be asked: “Download an older version of this app? The current version requires iOS X.X or later but you can download the last compatible version” Simple tap “Download

Tada

Apple won't do this legacy support that's literally a functionality they built into their own app store that all non Apple apps automatically do.

I've got several old iPods and I wish my iPod original still worked due to how awful the big brother software has become. I only have iPods that are gifted to me and I only keep them because of the sound quality. They're thankfully old enough to still have a headphone jack.

Aug 29, 2020 3:56 AM in response to jcville

I, too cannot update on IOS 9.3.5. Nor can the app be deleted... This issue has existed for well over a year...

I am sure that the continual automatic attempts to download and reinstall this app. is causing congestion and is hanging the iPad.

If APPLE is unwilling to sort this problem or provide an uninstaller it is a sign of extreme hubris and not worthy of any further purchases...

My iPad has a 3G SIM which has also been 'crippled' by OS updates - telephone dialler no longer functions - and this is a further controlling annoyance!

Aug 31, 2020 7:26 PM in response to mldardy

Apple has gone way down hill since Jobs died. Since then I have completely replaces an iMac, two MacBooks, an iPad and two I phones with, Windows PCs, Linux PCs, Android/Windows tablets and Android phones. My digital life is now much better. I kept just one iPhone that I use here in the Philippines as a retail loader phone to sell SIM loads. The stupid Find My iPhone app shows it needs an available update and the updade fails. This is just one of many examples of how "the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing". Stupid Apple!!!

Sep 23, 2020 1:55 AM in response to davibeng

I spent over 2 hours talking with Apple Support who tried to convince me that upgrading my iPad 2 from iOS 9.3.5 to 9.3.6 would do the trick. But 9.3.6 wasn't offered so they told me to backup to my iMac, then do a restore. Result: iOS still not offered as an upgrade*, the loss of some apps that were working absolutely fine though are no longer in the App Store and STILL no resolution to the problem. Absolutely useless, **** poor support! In theory I can call them back if the problem is not resolved. But I'd rather not have my iPad "damaged" any more and waste several more hours of my time with idiots who don't check things properly before making moronic suggestions.

*Further investigations by myself indicate that 9.3.6 is NEVER available for wifi only iPad 2s (which mine is) so zero points there for the "expert" not knowing this. Also, given that some of the other commenters on this thread already have 9.3.6 installed show that it isn't the solution anyway.

Sep 30, 2020 4:57 PM in response to Vain.3805

Your post is irrelevant to the initial start of this thread. So I will copy and paste it here again. Trying to update Find My IPhone on iPod Touch and get error 'Unable to Download App, Find My IPhone could not be installed at this time'. I retry and continue to get the same error. The update is for Version 4.0 Sept 17 2014. What do I need to do to update this app and why is it such an outdated update?

Apple will not answer this question and neither has anyone else.

Sep 30, 2020 5:54 PM in response to Exodus832

Do you want the abstract or the actual study on why?

The synopsis is they want more money and if something is annoying the users of legacy devices it is desirable.

They were recently sued in the EU for intentionally slowing down older devices.

They tried to get out of it by claiming the slowdown was designed to increase the devices functional life.

Yeah, you don't need to be a farmer to identify that steaming pile.

Oct 8, 2020 2:38 PM in response to mldardy

My wife and I each have the same problem on our individual iPads. Clearly someone in Apple did something to cause this problem. It's a pity they don't have any enthusiasm for fixing their error.

It damages one's trust in their brand.

If anything it makes one less likely to by a newer iPad - more likely to go for as competitors product at a fraction of the price next time.

Find My Iphone Update won't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.