Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil (Generation 2): Will it overcharge if I keep it attached to my IPad Pro?

Is it ok to keep my Apple Pencil (Gen 2) attached to my iPad? I’m afraid it will overcharge and lead to an ineffective pencil long term.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 12:53 PM

ok, so it won’t overcharge? That’s my biggest worry. It’s just so pricey, I don’t want it to die in a year bc of overcharging.

4 replies

Aug 8, 2020 12:58 PM in response to mickeydoodle315

The second generation Apple Pencil should be kept docked with the iPad when not in use - as this ensures that the tiny internal battery is kept healthily charged when not in use. 

Keeping the Pencil is a separated when unused risks allowing its battery to discharge; if allowed to remain in this state, the battery will suffer irreparable damage. When the battery fails, the only remedy is to replace the entire Pencil; the battery is not a serviceable item.

Apple Pencil (Generation 2): Will it overcharge if I keep it attached to my IPad Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.