Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing MacOS software on external disk

Starting with MacOS Catalina does MacOS have to be installed to APFS formatted disks?

i ran into an interesting issue with trying to install MacOS on an external drive where the installer upon rebooting said that it could not recognize the startup disk.

that stopped being a problem once I reformatted the external drive from HFS to APFS.

i am trying to find explicit documentation where this requirement is mentioned but I am having problems doing so. Therefore I am looking for confirmation.

thanks.

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 1:15 PM

The Catalina installer will format the target drive using APFS, automatically. If the target drive is formatted HFS+, then the installer will convert the drive to APFS without existing data loss.

This information has been circulating since before Catalina's name became public. APFS, only, and 64-bit software, only. Catalina will do just fine with drives formatted HFS+, just not as a boot volume.

See Disk Utility User Guide.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2020 1:15 PM in response to mackiedoo

The Catalina installer will format the target drive using APFS, automatically. If the target drive is formatted HFS+, then the installer will convert the drive to APFS without existing data loss.

This information has been circulating since before Catalina's name became public. APFS, only, and 64-bit software, only. Catalina will do just fine with drives formatted HFS+, just not as a boot volume.

See Disk Utility User Guide.

Aug 8, 2020 1:37 PM in response to mackiedoo

See…

Is the public beta software confidential?

Yes, the public beta software is Apple confidential information. Don’t install the public beta software on any systems you don’t directly control or that you share with others. Don’t blog, post screen shots, tweet, or publicly post information about the public beta software, and don’t discuss the public beta software with or demonstrate it to others who are not in the Apple Beta Software Program. If Apple has publicly disclosed technical information about the public beta software, it is no longer considered confidential.

Read our Terms for full details

Installing MacOS software on external disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.