Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i retrieve text messages from the cloud?

I want to retrieve text messages from icloud, cna i do it without a complete restore?

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 8:47 PM

Open Settings ➔ Apple ID (Top) ➔ iCloud ➔ Messages - Is this set to ON?

If Messages (above) is set to ON in iCloud then your iPhone is in synch with that is in iCloud. What you are seeing on your iPhone is current and there is nothing else to restore from.

If Messages in iCloud is set to OFF then you have to restore your iPhone from a backup in iCloud or a computer.

Axel F.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2020 8:47 PM in response to guy2009

Open Settings ➔ Apple ID (Top) ➔ iCloud ➔ Messages - Is this set to ON?

If Messages (above) is set to ON in iCloud then your iPhone is in synch with that is in iCloud. What you are seeing on your iPhone is current and there is nothing else to restore from.

If Messages in iCloud is set to OFF then you have to restore your iPhone from a backup in iCloud or a computer.

Axel F.

Aug 10, 2020 10:19 AM in response to guy2009

Ok, so apparently im not communicating well. I have always synced my devices, currently my ipad has the text thread i do not want to lose. The thread was deleted from my iphone. No texts are saved in backup in the cloud or itunes as the devices are synced as i understand it. Where are the synced messages stored so i can retrieve or transfer the ones i want? No luck at all. Logged into icloud.com no messages there either. Very confused. Backed up ipad in itunes and restored iphone from that backup. No messages as they are not backed up there and will download later from the synced location. Any suggestions? Guy

Aug 10, 2020 10:45 AM in response to guy2009

guy2009 wrote:

Ok, so apparently im not communicating well. I have always synced my devices, currently my ipad has the text thread i do not want to lose. The thread was deleted from my iphone. No texts are saved in backup in the cloud or itunes as the devices are synced as i understand it. Where are the synced messages stored so i can retrieve or transfer the ones i want? No luck at all. Logged into icloud.com no messages there either. Very confused. Backed up ipad in itunes and restored iphone from that backup. No messages as they are not backed up there and will download later from the synced location. Any suggestions? Guy

If you are using Messages in iCloud, removing it from your phone will remove it from any other device using Messages in iCloud. When using `messages in iCloud, messages are only synced and not stored in a backup.

Messages are not viewable on iCloud in any situation.

How do i retrieve text messages from the cloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.