Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up Airport Extreme to extend a network

I would like to setup my Airport Extreme as an extender for my network.

I have a cable modem/ wifi/ router (Netgear C6300) as my internet gateway. I cannot get Airport Utility to recognize it.

I have tried to setup my Airport Extreme to extend the Netgear wifi. Through Airport Utility, I am able to see the AirPort Extreme, but when I choose the "Other Options" and "Add to an Existing Network" it goes back to the "This AirPort Extreme will create a network" window asking for Network name, basestation name, password and verify.

The AirPort Utility window shows the globe as internet, but no other devices.

The AirPort Extreme can be found under the "Other WIFi Devices in the upper corner of the window.

Any guidance on how to get the AirPort Utility to see the netgear router or get the AirPort Extreme to connect as an extender?

AirPort

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 8:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 9:48 PM

I have tried to setup my Airport Extreme to extend the Netgear wifi.

Good news, bad news

The good news is that the AirPort Extreme can be set up to extend the Netgear network if it is connected and remains permanently connected to the Netgear router using a wired Ethernet cable connection.

The bad news is that the AirPort Extreme will not be able to extend a network using only a wireless connection with a third party router, because Apple designed their wireless extend option as a proprietary feature that will only work with another Apple AirPort router.

If you are able to connect the AirPort Extreme back to the Netgear router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection, and need instructions on this type of setup, post back for more details.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2020 9:48 PM in response to Jeff Stube

I have tried to setup my Airport Extreme to extend the Netgear wifi.

Good news, bad news

The good news is that the AirPort Extreme can be set up to extend the Netgear network if it is connected and remains permanently connected to the Netgear router using a wired Ethernet cable connection.

The bad news is that the AirPort Extreme will not be able to extend a network using only a wireless connection with a third party router, because Apple designed their wireless extend option as a proprietary feature that will only work with another Apple AirPort router.

If you are able to connect the AirPort Extreme back to the Netgear router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection, and need instructions on this type of setup, post back for more details.

Aug 8, 2020 10:13 PM in response to Jeff Stube

Same deal, unfortunately as far as extending the Netgear network using only a wireless connection.

The Express is different though because it can "join" the Netgear network using only a wireless connection if you want to use it for AirPlay or try to connect a remote printer to the USB port on the Express. But.....the Express will not "extend" the network when it "joins" a third party network......since the "extend" feature will only work with another Apple router.

If an AirPort Extreme were producing a wireless network......then.....you could use an Express to wirelessly "extend" the Extreme network.

Setting up Airport Extreme to extend a network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.