Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini (2018) About this Mac/Support/macOS & Hardware Support 'Config object not available' message

Have just bought a new Mac mini (2018) running macOS Catalina v. 10.15.6. I clicked on 'About this Mac/Support/macOS Support' to check on something and this message appeared:

HTTP Status 500 - Config object not available

type Exception report

message Config object not available

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception java.lang.RuntimeException: Config object not available com.apple.iknow.inquira.profileresp.HelpResponderServlet.doGet(HelpResponderServlet.java:46) javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617) javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:723)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/6.0.39 logs.

Apache Tomcat/6.0.39'

What is this? How do I sort it out? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Have already tried posting a version of thi topic but not sure if it got through or not. Apologies if it has – I'm not sure about how posting to the Community works.

David Girling

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 11:24 AM

I don't know if running First Aid on the disc is a sure fire solution to the problem but it's one of the first troubleshooting tricks to be tired. Then I'd download and apply the macOS Catalina 10.15.6 Combo Update in case there are any damaged system files involved.  

Similar questions

9 replies

Aug 19, 2020 7:33 AM in response to dgirling

Glad to hear that dgirling's issue resolved, but I am still having the problem. However, the failure has changed. Now instead of the HTTP Status 500 error, my default browser tries to open this page:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP741?locale=en-us&viewlocale=en_US

And displays this:

This page isn’t working

support.apple.com redirected you too many times.

Repeated this with my default browser set to Chrome, Firefox and Safari, and all gave variant of same message.

Aug 12, 2020 11:09 AM in response to Old Toad

Just got same error on a 2016 MacBook (not Pro). Thanks for your advice, OldToad, but would you be able to elaborate on what is happening and why repairing the disk is a solution to this problem? Where does the Apache server live that is giving the message? Is MacOS running it internally on my machine to respond to "About this Mac" info requests? Or is it at Apple's support site? The only posts I see about this message just appeared 3 days ago, could something be messed up on the Apple servers?

Sorry if I am looking a gift amphibian in the mouth, but I always get a little nervous messing around with disk recovery and repair, so I try to avoid it if I can. If there's an explanation as to why this is the likely problem it would make me (and perhaps some other people) more comfortable with the risk.

Thanks.

Aug 19, 2020 1:43 AM in response to dgirling

I was, somewhat belatedly, about to follow Old Toad's suggestion that I restart my Mac mini in macOS Recovery and use Disk Utilities/First Aid to see if that would remove this anomaly, then I thought that I would first go to About This Mac and check in Support to see if it was still there. Lo and behold, all the macOS Resources and Mac Resources options were back to normal. It looks as if Prabs77 was right in saying that the error was on Apple's side! I'm still curious to know what it was all about. Any way of finding out through Apple Support online?

Aug 19, 2020 11:21 AM in response to Old Toad

I don't really know. The url is auto-generated. On the MacBook I click on Apple icon -> About this Mac, a dialog box appears, then Support tab refreshes the dialog box. There are two sections, the lower labeled Mac Resources, which has 3 buttons (mouse-over doesn't show anything). Click on button Specifications. My default brower pops open with the indicated url filled in, and as it tries to load I get the message.

Aha, OK. Your suggestion for the abbreviated link did work, and took me an Apple Support page listing specs for my modle of MacBook. However, I have been to this exact page before going through Apple's website; I did not expect that all I would get through the onboard configuration menus on my device was a link to fixed page at Apple Support. The page does not give full information. In particular it says that the early-2016 MacBook supports "up to 3840 by 2160 pixels at 30Hz on an external display." In the past on other machines, I have been accustomed to be able to get a listing of every resolution/refresh rate combination supported by the graphics system, which information I could then use in selecting an appropriate monitor at an appropriate price. I don't know why that is so hard with this Apple product.

Sorry, I got a bit off-topic there. Suffice it to say that my problem regarding the spec information I was seeking is adequately resolved, and I thank you, Old Toad, for your help. The Apple->About->Support->Specs option is still broken on my Mac, since it requires Old Toad's workaround, but that does get at the target info. If anyone at Apple engineering is monitoring these posts, they should be aware of both the Specifications-click issue and the limitation on available resolution/refresh rate information. If there is some place I should repost these matters, let me know and I will.

Thanks again, my immediate problem is resolved.

Mac mini (2018) About this Mac/Support/macOS & Hardware Support 'Config object not available' message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.