Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing OS on erased iMac

Hi. I erased an iMac that is new to me, and when trying to instal the OS, I get

"The installer information on the recovery server is damaged"

I have tried

• safe mode (I get the ?)
  • Command R on start up and the variants (Shift, Option, Command, R etc)

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 10:29 AM

It sounds like the download of the operating system is corrupted, so it can't load properly. So now you have the "?" which means that an OS can not be found at start up. I suggest that you restart your computer in the internet recovery mode and hold down the following keys: Command - Option - R. Then allow it to reload the installer. One note of caution before you do this. Download corruption often occurs when attempting a download via wi fi. It's just too much data, apparently. So, if you can, use a wired connection to your router to ensure a clean download. If necessary, temporarily move your computer to set up the wired connection. If that's not feasible, then be aware that using the wi fi method may take several downloads before you get a clean one that works. Good luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2020 10:29 AM in response to gabrielfromtoronto

It sounds like the download of the operating system is corrupted, so it can't load properly. So now you have the "?" which means that an OS can not be found at start up. I suggest that you restart your computer in the internet recovery mode and hold down the following keys: Command - Option - R. Then allow it to reload the installer. One note of caution before you do this. Download corruption often occurs when attempting a download via wi fi. It's just too much data, apparently. So, if you can, use a wired connection to your router to ensure a clean download. If necessary, temporarily move your computer to set up the wired connection. If that's not feasible, then be aware that using the wi fi method may take several downloads before you get a clean one that works. Good luck.

Installing OS on erased iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.