Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not install iTunes

I can not re-install iTunes on to my desktop running Windows 10. When I try to install the version from the Microsoft website I get an answer saying that my previous version of iTunes has to be removed. The program tries to remove a previous version and failing that directs me back to the control panel to remove the program. However there is nothing in the control panel because I had previously removed it. In all my fussing around with this, I deleted all program files (both versions, 86x) relating to Apple as well as references in the common files. The Apple internet files I can't erase because they are supposedly used by another program, but I don't know which one. I have tried everything I can think of such as chkdsk just in case, cleaning the registry, deleting Apple reference files in the registry, reregistering the msi files. I don't know what else to do. Is there anyway to force an install?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 9:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 3:13 PM

Well, I logged in as administrator. Made sure there were no traces of any previous iTunes installation except for the internet files which were not able to be deleted. I then took a look at the start up configuration and found they were not set up for a full normal start up. I checked off that box, restarted my computer and the installation worked.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 3:13 PM in response to Brian_P7

Well, I logged in as administrator. Made sure there were no traces of any previous iTunes installation except for the internet files which were not able to be deleted. I then took a look at the start up configuration and found they were not set up for a full normal start up. I checked off that box, restarted my computer and the installation worked.

Aug 12, 2020 9:18 AM in response to Gonzy1107

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Can not install iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.