Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari logs me out of forums

I regularly visit several online forums for Logic Pro X, using Safari 13.1.1 in MacOS 10.14.6

For a while now, if I return to a forum after having been logged in a day earlier, I find that I'm logged out and I have to go through the login steps - pretty much every day. It used to be that I stayed logged in indefinitely.

I tried using Firefox and it keeps me logged in without limitations on all the same websites. Clearly, Safari is doing something to log me out each time.

I have looked through all the Safari preferences and can't identify anything that could cause this.

I'd appreciate any advice in this regard - it's VERY irritating. (I do NOT want to install a higher MacOS for various reasons.)

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 10:33 AM

This is a common and long-standing complaint. It has nothing to do with you, your browser or your settings, and no one who runs the boards seems to think it's an issue worth addressing.

Strangely it does seem erratic, with logouts happening anywhere between 10 minutes and a day, for no discernible reason I can detect.

Most of the 'solutions' I've seen suggested hinge around keeping a browser window open all the time which is clearly not practical for most people.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2020 10:33 AM in response to Colin Shapiro

This is a common and long-standing complaint. It has nothing to do with you, your browser or your settings, and no one who runs the boards seems to think it's an issue worth addressing.

Strangely it does seem erratic, with logouts happening anywhere between 10 minutes and a day, for no discernible reason I can detect.

Most of the 'solutions' I've seen suggested hinge around keeping a browser window open all the time which is clearly not practical for most people.

Aug 12, 2020 9:26 AM in response to Colin Shapiro

Hi Colin Shapiro,

Thanks for your post! We understand Safari will log you out of forums you regularly visit. Are you using Private Browsing? If you haven't already, try creating another user, then test to see if the issue persists in the new environment.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Furthermore, see if the issue persists in safe mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Let us know what you find out!

Take care!

Aug 12, 2020 10:29 AM in response to chris_g1

Thanks for the reply.

No - I'm not using Private Browsing.

I'm posting this from my Second-User setup, though I can only stay in this user for a limited time as I need to work in my Main User environment.

Same goes for Safe Mode - I can't stay in safe mode for over a day as I have work to do which requires a regular boot.

The fact that you suggest these 2 options indicate to me that there are known problems with Safari. It would be more helpful if you could suggest other solutions that I can apply in my main environment (as main user).

Also, the fact that Firefox does NOT log me out of forums is a clear indication that the problem is specific to Safari, which I would prefer to use as my main browser.

Aug 12, 2020 10:44 AM in response to Camelot

Thanks Camelot.

That's the answer I both needed and was afraid of.

Seems like the good folks at Apple need to do a little work on Safari. Maybe it's a case of over-zealous privacy considerations that somehow time one out of forums.

In any event, this needs to be fixed, possibly with a new user-definable setting:

🔲 Remain logged-in to websites

Safari logs me out of forums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.