Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Devices Automatically Joining Wifi

If I connect to a new WiFi network, all of my other Apple devices will automatically connect to that new network when the wifi is turned on. Conversely, if I forget a network, all of my devices forget that network. How do I stop this?

Problem: I want my MBP/iPad connected to WiFi and my iPhone to stay on LTE, without iCloud automatically making all of my network preferences the same across all devices.

This is becoming maddening, so any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 3:34 PM

Maybe you can just try disconnecting from WiFi but I can see this being an onerous task if you have lots of devices - Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center - Apple Support.

4 replies

Aug 10, 2020 3:29 PM in response to zinacef

“Ask” for Networks and “Ask” for Hotspot.

No matter my phone settings, even if I have Wifi “disconnected until tomorrow”, iCloud automatically adds any new WiFi/Bluetooth connection to ALL devices and I haven’t found a way to disable it.

My working theory is that it has something to do with the iCloud Keychain functionality, but there’s no way to adjust/change/detail that. Just “on” or “off”.

Devices Automatically Joining Wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.