Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can migration assistant re-install a 'suspect or bad' program after erase to factory settings?

A software was causing the internal microphone on MacBook Pro not to work. At Apple support's recommendation, I did a complete erase of OS Catalina 10.15.6 and then a re-install with OS Recovery. Now the microphone is working. Now I want to re-install all software, programs, applications, etc., from my Time Machine backup, but I am afraid it will RE-INSTALL the software that was causing the problem if I just use Migration Assistant without 'cherry picking' (manual re-install) each program, application, etc. My expertise is novice. Does anyone know whether it is a possibility the 'bad' program will be re-installed? Thank you.

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 3:35 PM

Hello appbag,

It sounds like you have used macOS Recovery to remove the data on your MacBook Pro to get your microphone functioning again and now you need to restore some of your previous applications and software. We can understand wanting access to that previous data, while still keeping your microphone working. You've come to the right place for help.

If it has been determined which software was causing the microphone to not work we'll want to check out this resource for specifics on how to restore specific software and applications:

Restore your Mac from a backup

Paying special attention to the steps under 'Restore all your files' it will show you how to select the files you want to transfer over.

Another option would be to reinstall the software and applications the App Store, if purchased from there, or the original disc for the software:

Reinstall apps that came with your Mac

We hope you have a great day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2020 3:35 PM in response to appbag

Hello appbag,

It sounds like you have used macOS Recovery to remove the data on your MacBook Pro to get your microphone functioning again and now you need to restore some of your previous applications and software. We can understand wanting access to that previous data, while still keeping your microphone working. You've come to the right place for help.

If it has been determined which software was causing the microphone to not work we'll want to check out this resource for specifics on how to restore specific software and applications:

Restore your Mac from a backup

Paying special attention to the steps under 'Restore all your files' it will show you how to select the files you want to transfer over.

Another option would be to reinstall the software and applications the App Store, if purchased from there, or the original disc for the software:

Reinstall apps that came with your Mac

We hope you have a great day!

Can migration assistant re-install a 'suspect or bad' program after erase to factory settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.