Newsroom Update

watchOS 11 brings powerful health and fitness insights. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I still track my swims in open water with the apple 5 series GPS only?

I ordered an Apple 5 GPS because I primarily want to track my open swims. I'm a bit of a dumb dumb for not realizing there is a difference between GPS & Cellular (I'm very new to Apple products) and I while it hasn't arrived yet, I'm stuck with this watch I think. That could be ok, if...

Can I still track my open swims with GPS only?

I won't be anywhere near my Iphone, ideally, but if the GPS only will not track without the phone I will order a water resistant bag to put my phone in and stuff it in my suit. Not at all ideal, but I make things work.

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 12:29 PM

GPS and GPS+Cellular both operate the same when isolated from the paired iPhone, save for the added cellular ability.

This includes caching activity data within the Watch until the paired iPhone is again within Bluetooth or Wi-Fi range.

Cellular data is not used for sharing data between the Watch and the paired iPhone.

If you want to be able to make an emergency call from Watch and cellular coverage permitting, you need GPS+Cellular.

There is a 14 day return window.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2020 12:29 PM in response to bodhijbd

GPS and GPS+Cellular both operate the same when isolated from the paired iPhone, save for the added cellular ability.

This includes caching activity data within the Watch until the paired iPhone is again within Bluetooth or Wi-Fi range.

Cellular data is not used for sharing data between the Watch and the paired iPhone.

If you want to be able to make an emergency call from Watch and cellular coverage permitting, you need GPS+Cellular.

There is a 14 day return window.

Aug 11, 2020 7:55 AM in response to First Magus

That article, which I've read and re-read about 10 times, does not address my actual question - does the GPS version of the watch still track open swims without cellular data. I have read everything about the swim functionality of the watch, which is great, but I don't know whether the GPS vs Cellular versions of the watches function differently when it comes down to tracking the activities.

Can I still track my swims in open water with the apple 5 series GPS only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.