Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Highlight colors for Preview on MacOS 2020

Hi, is it possible to add more highlight colors for Preview on Mac?

I am too used to Preview now to change to another app. There's a solution of adding a box and changing the opacity but it's cumbersome and it makes the text slightly blurry.

It's 2020 and I can't believe there isn't a way to have more highlight colors. At least we can have some paler shades? Only the yellow color seems to be okay but I don't want the whole PDF to be in yellow and I would like more colors thanks.

This is not a new complaint and I'm voicing my concern once again and hoping that by sheer numbers someone can listen and add those colors. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 12:30 AM

I know that, and I said only the yellow color is relatively okay for me. I'm hoping for more colors other than these 5, because the other colors make the whole document hard to read. (Honestly it doesn't feel like a 'highlighter', but a darkener - it makes the text you want to emphasise harder to read, if that makes sense.)

Yeah thanks I will drop them a feedback about their UI/UX.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2020 12:30 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I know that, and I said only the yellow color is relatively okay for me. I'm hoping for more colors other than these 5, because the other colors make the whole document hard to read. (Honestly it doesn't feel like a 'highlighter', but a darkener - it makes the text you want to emphasise harder to read, if that makes sense.)

Yeah thanks I will drop them a feedback about their UI/UX.

Aug 11, 2020 3:52 AM in response to rilliana

Preview highlight colors are fixed with no user intervention. There has been no means for users to customize Preview highlight colors since the dawn of time. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC gives you access to a color wheel via highlight properties, where you can select a custom highlight color.

Apple product teams do not participate in these fellow user supported communities. If you want product teams to know about a needed feature, send feedback to that product team, and do not encourage a stampede of redundant posts here. For Preview, that product team is the macOS team.

Aug 11, 2020 3:53 AM in response to rilliana

If you have a PDF open in Preview, you can select more than one highlight colour to select areas of text.

you can start with Pink, and then change the highlight colour to Yellow and then select the next section

of text you want to highlight and so forth. You are restricted to the 5 standard colours though.

If you want to tell Apple about your 'concern' tell Apple, Feedback - macOS - Apple

Adding Highlight colors for Preview on MacOS 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.