Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delay in startup after pressing power button on 2019 mac pro..!

• 3.2GHz 16‑core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
  • 384GB (6x64GB) of DDR4 ECC memory
  • Radeon Pro W5700X with 16GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 8TB SSD storage

When I press the power button on Mac Pro, the status indicator light is solid immediately however nothing happens on the screens for around 15 seconds - apple logo is coming at 14 sec then progress bar at 18 sec and and computer starts up as normal at 34-37 seconds. I am using two Apple thunderbolt displays with two thunderbolt 2 to 3 adaptors.

What is even more weird, I have also other shared Mac computer on the same network and it can strangely connect and access to the new Mac at 28-30 second - before it actually startup ( while the new MacPro is still showing Apple logo and the progress bar on the screens)

What I did so far:

- Select Startup disk and restart

- SMC reset

- PRAM reset

- Clean install MacOS 

- Erase the Disk and re-install MacOS 

- Tried with a new 32inch Samsung Space monitor with HDMI and this time there is a 28 second delay before appearing Apple logo and almost fully loaded progress bar and then boot in 2-3 seconds (so total startup takes 30 seconds)

Not sure what the problem is, any ideas?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 12:55 PM

The amount if time spent in the Power-On Self Test in a Mac with 384GB or error-correcting code RAM will be substantial.

Make certain you have correctly selected the intended Startup Disk.

It is not surprising you can recognize this Mac early in the startup sequence. Internet connection is a vital and early part of MacOS.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2020 12:55 PM in response to UtkuS

The amount if time spent in the Power-On Self Test in a Mac with 384GB or error-correcting code RAM will be substantial.

Make certain you have correctly selected the intended Startup Disk.

It is not surprising you can recognize this Mac early in the startup sequence. Internet connection is a vital and early part of MacOS.

Aug 11, 2020 1:45 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the reply, I've already selected the Startup Disk but not helped.

So it’s a normal that the other mac can access my new MacPro 10 seconds before it boots, right?

Could the delay also be due to the adapters I use for the thunderbolt displays?

Also what can potentially cause that different delay times on HDMI and Thunderbolt connections?

Thank you very much!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.