You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In order to continue installing macOS Catalina, you need to log in as an administrator. Install macOS Catalina is trying to add a new helper tool

I'm trying to install macOS Catalina. I have downloaded the update, but when I click the "install" button, my iMac pops up a window saying "In order to continue installing macOS Catalina, you need to log in as an administrator. Install macOS Catalina is trying to add a new helper tool."

I have entered my Admin User Name and password (and in fact, I'm logged in as the admin and have logged out of all of the user accounts on the machine), but after I enter the Admin User Name and password and click the "Add helper" button, my iMac does nothing except close the window telling me that the helper tool needs to be installed. If I click the "install" button again on the "Install macOS Catalina" window, my iMac once again pops up the same message telling me that macOS Catalina needs to install a new helper tool. I have gone through this complete and utter waste of time 5 times and still nothing happens after I click the "add helper" button.

How do I get past this annoying roadblock?

I have attached a screenshot (removing my admin user name and password for the screenshot).

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 1:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 1:44 PM

Ok, so this is a bug. In order to get past this bug, you have to click the "cancel" button, restart your Mac, log back in (in my case, as the admin), accept the Catalina licensing agreement again, click the "install" button, enter the admin user name and admin password again, and then, and only then, will the Mac actually install the helper tool and complete the Catalina installation.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 11, 2020 1:44 PM in response to Buzzfuster

Ok, so this is a bug. In order to get past this bug, you have to click the "cancel" button, restart your Mac, log back in (in my case, as the admin), accept the Catalina licensing agreement again, click the "install" button, enter the admin user name and admin password again, and then, and only then, will the Mac actually install the helper tool and complete the Catalina installation.

In order to continue installing macOS Catalina, you need to log in as an administrator. Install macOS Catalina is trying to add a new helper tool

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.