Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset Password

Hey guys! I just got a brand new iMac and set up the password for the desktop. However, when I tried to sign in using my Apple ID, it asked for the iMac password and when I put it in, it said it was incorrect. It is not giving me the option to reset the password and I am not sure how to proceed.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 3:55 PM

Change or reset the password of a macOS user account...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860 

2 replies

Aug 11, 2020 4:14 PM in response to courtsowell

For the moment, skip it. Just say ‘set up later’ and proceed. You can go to apple’s web page to reset your Apple ID, or use another Apple device as a trusted device to enter your Apple ID. You are doing basic setup, yes?? I don’t know if it’s a great idea to use the same login/administrator/startup password, but what do I know? Usually how it works is that there is a phone number or email associated with your Apple ID( 2 factor verification)so if you ever need to get in and use your Apple ID, or you forgot, or need to reset it, and you can’t via computer or iphone/iPad, then Apple will call, text or email you a 6 digit randomly generated code as many times as you need until you type it in correctly and both codes match( the one on their end+ the one they sent to you). When both match then voila your apple id unlocks

thats all i got

john b

Reset Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.