Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The “x” that closes a single safari tab or window on my iPad has disappeared

I always keep more than one window open in safari - not split screen style - if I want to read something later. Then I just hit the “x” on the place description under the address bar when I’m finished to close it. While I was using my iPad this morning, I must have inadvertently done something to make the x’s disappear. I can hit the 2 boxes at the top right of the screen to close all the windows at once, but I can’t close just one. Does anyone know how to fix this? Turning the iPad off and restarting it doesn’t change anything. Thanks.

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 5:17 AM

6 replies

Aug 13, 2020 9:47 AM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPilot wrote:

If you have multiple tabs open in a single Safari instance, the currently active• tab will have the “X” button to close the tab.

Should you have a Safari instance with only a single open page (not multiple tabs/pages), then the “X” close button is not• present.

thanks for bearing with me. I have probably made this a lot more complicated than it is.

The simple problem is that as of yesterday, I can find no way to close either a single or multiple tabs on the safari screen. The “X” you referred to is not present anywhere, on active or inactive tabs. Holding the double squares and selecting “close tab” will not close the inactive tabs either.

The screenshot below shows that currently, there are 6 tabs open, listed under the bar that reads “discussions.apple.com.” Incidentally, it does not show the active tab “discussions.apple.com” underneath the address bar or whatever it’s called.

I would just like to know how to close the safari tabs so they don’t appear on my safari screen. Thanks.

Aug 13, 2020 10:08 AM in response to greytdogs

Perhaps something has malfunctioned - unusual, but possible.

I suggest force-closing the offending Safari instance...

• With the offending Safari window open, swipe-upwards from the bottom edge of the screen, just enough to reveal the dock.
  • Tap the Safari icon on the dock to open the Exposé view (you’ll remember this from the original linked document) of your open Safari instances.
  • Swipe the window corresponding with the offending instance off the top of the screen.
  • Tap on any free space to finish.

Aug 12, 2020 5:56 AM in response to greytdogs

I don’t quite understand the issue that you are attempting to describe - but this link may provide some greater insight into Safari and its handling of spaces (instances) and tabs:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002077

If this doesn’t help you to resolve the problem, perhaps it will provide material with which to further explore and describe the issue that you have.

I hope this proves to be helpful.

Aug 12, 2020 6:59 AM in response to greytdogs

The reference served its purpose - in that you can now better explain your perceived problem...

I believe both you and I now better understand your question.

What you likely see is the iPadOS multi-tasking environment doing its job - its function being somewhat different to earlier versions of iOS on the iPad. In past iterations, you were able to close your Safari window simply by closing the last remaining tab/page. This is no longer the case.

• If you have multiple tabs open in a single Safari instance, the currently active tab will have the “X” button to close the tab.

• Should you have a Safari instance with only a single open page (not multiple tabs/pages), then the “X” close button is not present.

In context of the system and UI design, where closing an App is not power-efficient, this makes sense - as you simply switch to a different task when needed.

The iPadOS system optimisation transitions tasks to an inactive state whilst you are using a different App - saving the App state to non-volatile [slow] flash memory, for immediate recall when later returning to the App. Whilst inactive, RAM is released to the operating system for use by other system processes.

Closing and relaunching an App consumes considerably more power - as loading and initialising a process from scratch is significantly more CPU intensive than reloading the [already initialised] saved state.

I hope this explanation and insight provides some clarity as to the behaviour that you see. Your explanation indicates that you iPad is operating entirely as expected for iPadOS13.x.

Aug 12, 2020 6:30 AM in response to greytdogs

Sorry to be unclear. I have the opposite problem from what the article describes. It’s not restoring lost tabs that is the problem, but closing them. There used to be an “X” in the upper left corner of a safari tab or window. To close a tab, you’d touch the “X” and it would close. Now the “X” is gone, the windows won’t close, and the window I’m currently using won’t show or stay open if I leave it to read an old tab.

The “x” that closes a single safari tab or window on my iPad has disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.