Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

since OS 10.15.6 my time machine has failed and now reports no times or dates for the oldest and latest backups

Since OS 10.15.6 my time machine has failed and now reports no times or dates for the oldest and latest backups. It also reports 174GB of 3 TB available and yet a backup would less than what is available. Entering time machine suggest there is presently no backup available.

I'm now verifying the back up, but this could take ages

(been using TimeMachineEditor in this context for past 5 years without issue)

I would go in and delete old backup made after each OS install, but according to Time Machine there is nothing available.

any thoughts most welcome.

Ian

Time Capsule

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 9:57 AM

I just finished running First Aid on my 6 TB Time Machine drive and it took about 5 or 6 hours to complete. I left it run over night and it was finished the next morning. Because of the complex ecosystem of file permissions and hard links it does take a while.

Try selecting the disk again so that the icon of the drive changes to that of Time Machine:

Then see if you get the info on the drive.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2020 9:57 AM in response to goslings

I just finished running First Aid on my 6 TB Time Machine drive and it took about 5 or 6 hours to complete. I left it run over night and it was finished the next morning. Because of the complex ecosystem of file permissions and hard links it does take a while.

Try selecting the disk again so that the icon of the drive changes to that of Time Machine:

Then see if you get the info on the drive.

Aug 13, 2020 1:50 PM in response to goslings

No. It only deletes the folder for that Date. You can delete all occurrences of a folder but not all from a date on back.

You can find when you installed backups by holding down the Option key and selecting System Information from the  menu.

Then in the side bar under Software ➙ Installations look for the various system installs that you're interested in. The date will be on the right.

Aug 12, 2020 8:39 AM in response to goslings

I entered TimeMachine again, initially it looked as though there was just a backup from today, but after about 20s the right hand side date slider (or whatever it is called) showed all backup dates dating back to 2017.

Tried to retrieve an old file and it worked, so what is up with the TimeMachine Preferences panel about

Should I let the verify run overnight ?

thanks

Aug 13, 2020 12:40 PM in response to Old Toad

ok so if I have finder set to the Documents folder and I enter time machine and go to Dec 31 2018 and delete the Documents folder at this point does this mean it has deleted all the backup of the Documents folder before that point ?

I used time machine a lot to bring back files, but never done any housekeeping on it and don't really understand the implications of this type of deletion.

Ideally I would delete all backups for everything before this date to hopefully free up space, last year will be good enough

Or is there a way to find certain MAC OS upgrades as I always made a manual back up before instigating any OS Major up grade

thanks

Ian

Aug 19, 2020 2:58 AM in response to goslings

Ok so I have created a archive copy (2.5 days !!) of the TC to an external USB plugged into the TC using the tool in airport utility.

Now when I connect the copy to the mac and select this time machine backup, when I enter time machine rather than showing all the individual dates of backup on the right hand side, it just has NOW in red and no other dates

Checking back on the TM it has backups stretching back to 2018, although I have to wait 30-40ss or so for all of these to appear, but even after 10mins on the copy they do not appear

Yet the size of the copy is the same as the TC

Aug 19, 2020 2:43 PM in response to Old Toad

No joy I'm afraid

I ran a TM backup on TC-Copy today, thinking this might add and bring to life the older backups.

When I look in finder at the TC-Copy the top level has two directories

AirPort Time Capsule Archive under which is Ian's MAC &

Backups.backupdb - Ian'S MAC - todays date (one done today)

But if I look at the TC itself the only directory is

Data & under this is Ian's MAC (Sparse Disk Image Bundle.

So I'm thinking I should erase TC-Copy and run the archive again. ?

since OS 10.15.6 my time machine has failed and now reports no times or dates for the oldest and latest backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.