Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud keeps overwriting pc restoration on iphone

I backed up my phone on pc, I accidentally deleted a conversation that ive had for years. I thought it was no biggie since I had a recent backup for my iphone on pc. So I restored that backup on my iphone to get the messages back, it took about 2 hours to do this. My iphone boots back up with the pc backup restoration, and it asks me to choose a wifi connection, sign into my apple account, and it sends me an activation code to my cell phone, etc. When I do all of this, I Immediately go to to messages expecting the conversation I accidentally deleted to be there and recovered from the pc backup. But It wasnt there, and it said something on the bottom of the screen in messages about “recovering/uploading messages from icloud“. So icloud essentially overwrote my messages to “keep it up to date”. I dont know what to do now without icloud overwriting my messages “updating” and overwriting my messages. The deleted convo is still in the pc backup I made, but icloud has no recollection of it, so it just keeps overwriting it anytime I restore the pc backup onto my phone. What should I do to get the conversation back, without icloud Immediately overwriting it the second my phone reboots from said pc backup?

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 8:28 AM

If you’re using messages in iCloud (Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support) then messages are not part of either an iCloud nor an iTunes backup. And deletions are thus permanent.

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 12, 2020 9:10 AM in response to xzaru

xzaru wrote:

Thank you for replying! So theres no way I can recover these messages from the deleted conversation, even with me having a pc backup? Well, thats a bummer /: Thanks for your help

No, they cannot be recovered because there is nowhere from which they can be recovered. They are not included in the backup when you sync messages with iCloud.

iCloud keeps overwriting pc restoration on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.