Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Small photos in Photos (iMac 10.15.6) enlarged to fit screen - fix available?

Somewhere along the line, Photos changed for the worse. One new problem I encountered this morning is that small images (I saved an ad image for reference from my iPhone) are now ballooned up to fit the screen (on my iMac - looks fine on the phone), creating a grainy image. It used to be that the sizing slider bar in the upper left could be used to reduce the physical size but that not longer works; the photo remains big and grainy no matter what I do with that sliding bar.

I checked preferences ... I saw nothing to indicate a selection that creates this problem.

How do I get Photos to work as it used to, making small, low res photos small physically in the display (but no longer grainy)?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 5:46 PM

This is the expected behavior in Photos. Agree with or not, it's the way it works. You can re-size the Photos application window to your liking but that's a poor workaround. You could also use the Edit With command to open it in a different app like Preview but that is also a bit convoluted.

I would recommend you consider submitting feedback to Apple about this if you'd like to see it change.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2020 5:46 PM in response to chuckefus

This is the expected behavior in Photos. Agree with or not, it's the way it works. You can re-size the Photos application window to your liking but that's a poor workaround. You could also use the Edit With command to open it in a different app like Preview but that is also a bit convoluted.

I would recommend you consider submitting feedback to Apple about this if you'd like to see it change.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

Sep 3, 2020 6:48 PM in response to PhillipU

Thanks.

Well, it's "expected" in this version. The reason I asked is that it changed at some point. I used to be able to routinely use that bar to resize things. Never really had to before, but I know I played with it some time back. Somewhere along the line, it changed to being essentially useless.

OK - just curious if someone knew a better way. Will submit trouble report. Thanks for taking the time.

Small photos in Photos (iMac 10.15.6) enlarged to fit screen - fix available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.