Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Charging

I just got my new MacBook Pro the other day, and when the battery gets down to about 5%, I'll plug it up to charge it. When I do, it says it'll take more than 10 hours to charge. For example, my battery was at 5% at 2 pm, and when I plugged it up, it said "More than 10 hours," and in the Energy Saver, it says the estimated time until full is 12:03 am. I'm using the charger and cable that came with it. Could there be something wrong with it? I'm only asking because my 15" MacBook Pro charges faster, in about an hour or so. So, going from a 15" to a 16" and the time it takes to charge is a crazy amount of difference. Is this normal, or is there something going on?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 11:27 AM

Starting with macOS 10.15.5, Apple added a Battery Health Management feature that prolongs the life of your battery. One way it does that is by slowing down the charging based on your usage patterns. iPhones do this too, for the same reason – the phone times the charging so it's full a while before you normally wake up.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2020 11:27 AM in response to CoryT87

Starting with macOS 10.15.5, Apple added a Battery Health Management feature that prolongs the life of your battery. One way it does that is by slowing down the charging based on your usage patterns. iPhones do this too, for the same reason – the phone times the charging so it's full a while before you normally wake up.

Aug 12, 2020 11:45 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Thanks for the response! I do have the Battery Health Management on my 15" as well. Both the laptop has the same exact specs except one is 16" and the other is a 15". So I'm just curious as to why one would take about an hour to fully charge and the other would take 10 hours or more. I see where you're coming from with the Battery Heath Management, but why would that result in such a HUGE difference in charging times between the two?

Aug 12, 2020 8:35 PM in response to CoryT87

As another data point, my 16" MBP just ran itself down to 94% charge while plugged in (another part of battery health management, since Li-based batteries are best used frequently and lightly), and then started to charge. It's reporting that it will take 3.5 hours to charge to full. So, I suspect it's not your Mac specifically, but rather the designed behavior of the 16: MBP.

MacBook Pro Charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.