Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UTC Zbot Trojan False Positive

Just an FYI I recently checked my Cox Communications email after setting up a new 19" Macbook Pro and received the following message from my ISP about a possible virus detection. I seen on here that someone else has received a similar message from abuse@cox.net so I'm just confirming that Macs are somehow triggering the ISP's virus detection software. I only have one Windows PC in my whole household and it's locked down from installing software so I doubt that computer is the issue. I do have a iMac that is heavily used by children and they're frequently playing Minecraft Java Edition with Forge mods. This has been a source for concern because of the many questionable tactics employed on the forge website involving browser plugins containing malware. I frequently use Onyx, CleanMyMac X and there is a mac version of CCleaner now. Anyway I've not had any viruses installed on my macs thus far but I remain vigilant that it will happen someday.

Dear Cox High Speed Internet Subscriber,We received an alert that one of your home devices has been infected with a virus.

One or more devices (desktop computer, laptop, tablet, smartphone) using your modem may be infected with malware, which can steal your credentials, launch attacks on websites, or conduct other malicious activities.

It's important you take care of this as soon as possible.

We know it's hard to tackle viruses on your own, so we made sure that, as a customer, you have free access to Cox Security Suite Plus powered by McAfee, which helps you protect up to five devices by following these quick and easy steps:

• Make sure there's no anti-virus software already installed on your devices, and if there is, uninstall it with the help of your software manual
    • Download and install Cox Security Suite Plus from https://www.cox.com/securitysuite , or one of these trusted Anti-Virus software choices:
    • Update your computer software, browsers, and operating system to protect them from malware and ensure your security patches are updated
    • Run your software on each device until you've removed all detected malware

If you need some extra help, Cox offers premium technical support at reasonable rates. Visit https://www.cox.com/completecare to reach Cox Complete Care, or call 877-COX-ASST (269-2778).

As always, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to give Cox Network Security a call at 800-753-6085.

Your partner in cyber security,

Cox Customer Safety

To confirm this message is valid, visit www.cox.com , log in to your MyAccount drop down, select the drop down again, and click Email Notification History on the left side of the page.

Periodically Cox sends emails about changes in our service that affect you. Please note that if you unsubscribe from promotional emails, we will continue to send you important or time sensitive email messages about your service such as this. Cox will never send you an email asking for your personal information, such as passwords.

The Cox Acceptable Use Policy (AUP):

https://www.cox.com/aboutus/policies.html#acceptable-use-policy

REPORTED EVIDENCE: 

2019-09-15 22:47:54 UTC ZBOT 

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 12:22 PM

No need to apologize. I am well aware of the fearmongering that ISPs such as Cox and others resort to in collusion with an increasingly desperate "anti-virus" establishment with whom they partner to derive kickback revenue from the products they sell. Aren't their monthly subscription fees sufficient already?

It's pathetic, but you don't have to play that game.

The Windows PC on your network may be a contributing factor but I prohibit their use on my networks so I wouldn't know. If Cox has reason to implicate a device on your network it's incumbent upon them to identify it. They won't be able to. If they're serious about what they allege you will know when they terminate your service. They won't.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 12:22 PM in response to dennisfromchickasha

No need to apologize. I am well aware of the fearmongering that ISPs such as Cox and others resort to in collusion with an increasingly desperate "anti-virus" establishment with whom they partner to derive kickback revenue from the products they sell. Aren't their monthly subscription fees sufficient already?

It's pathetic, but you don't have to play that game.

The Windows PC on your network may be a contributing factor but I prohibit their use on my networks so I wouldn't know. If Cox has reason to implicate a device on your network it's incumbent upon them to identify it. They won't be able to. If they're serious about what they allege you will know when they terminate your service. They won't.

Aug 14, 2020 12:14 PM in response to dennisfromchickasha

They actually are both worthless apps and add ZERO additional layers of protection to what Mac OS already has. The best antivirus, cleaning, and overall maintenance tool for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. Simply keep Mac OS up-to-date and otherwise leave it alone and your Mac will remain stable and secure. Continue using Onyx (it was useful years ago but now it's worthless) and CMM and be prepared for a slow, unstable and bug prone experience.

We see users every single day that have these apps (and other AV, cleaning apps) installed that complain of Mac OS issues. When removed, the issues go away. If you want additional information please read Effective defenses against malware and other th... Communities from John Galt, who is an extremely experienced user.

However, at the end of the day it's your computer and you can install whatever you want on it. Just don't anticipate any help from these forums other than to tell you to uninstall any cleaning, antivirus, or other third party "maintenance" apps per the developers instructions in the event you have a problem.

Aug 14, 2020 12:04 PM in response to John Galt

Onyx and CleanMyMac X are not worthless apps. They do provide a benefit of cleaning out temporary files, log files, caches and are both able to modify apps that are set to start on login. Onyx also has the added benefit of modifying hidden features on Macs that normally would only be changeable in the terminal.

There already has been Mac viruses and malware. There are several reasons (possibly more) that viruses on Macs have not been historically common as for Windows.

1. Windows has a much larger install base and that is attractive for hackers.
  2. Windows has more people who know how to write viruses/malware for Windows.

I did not appreciate any patronizing input as I've been a Mac user for over 20 years and don't need help determining what software I have installed on my computers.

[Edited by Moderator]

Aug 13, 2020 7:34 PM in response to dennisfromchickasha

Ignore the email. Do not install "McAfee" or any other product in response to it.

I frequently use Onyx, CleanMyMac X and there is a mac version of CCleaner now.

Don't. Uninstall each of those worthless apps in accordance with their respective instructions. Do not use them again. Rule 1 of Macs is don't install junk.

Anyway I've not had any viruses installed on my macs thus far but I remain vigilant that it will happen someday.

There has never been, nor will there ever be, a macOS "virus".

Aug 14, 2020 12:16 PM in response to John Galt

This was never meant to be a question about anything. I do apologize for the snide remark. I know you were probably only trying to be helpful. I absolutely will not ever install a McAfee product on my Macs. Those apps are "junk" even for Windows users in my opinion.

The sole purpose of this post was to be helpful for other users who have possibly received the same kind of email from Cox Communications and to abate any fears that a mac has a problem. I know for a fact that the mac in question doesn't have issues with viruses. I also have a very useful firewall (Firewalla) on my network that would likely tell me if anything nefarious is going on. Little Snitch is another application that is able to intercept any kind of communications going to/from a Mac.

Aug 14, 2020 12:21 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I agree that McAfee's supposed antivirus is a joke and does in fact cause more problems than it cures. I've not had any issues with Onyx or Mac Cleaner X although I am suspicious of the latter for how it is sold and marketed. I 100% wholeheartedly agree with you about AV apps and have avoided them like the plague they are because most of them use questionable appeals to fear to ensnare their users.

UTC Zbot Trojan False Positive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.