Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I getting type 14 kernel panics constantly on MacOS 10.15.5?

I have been using MacOS Catalina for a bit, and, recently, I have been getting lots of kernel panics. It used to just be when I was using Minecraft or Android Studio, but, now, just watching Youtube is causing a kernel panic. These are the logs, and they don't really change at all from crash to crash. It says I only have first party kernel extensions, and third party ones are some of the things that can cause it. I heard there was a crash problem on 10.15.4, but I would've thought that was fixed in the more than 1 month it was out and known before the next update.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 8:22 PM

First, you need to upgrade VBox. You're a little behind. You may need to check how current your Adobe software is.

Dealing with Kernel Panics

Disconnect any third-party peripherals including any USB hubs. How to use safe mode on your Mac, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support then boot the computer into Safe Mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support and Playing Safe- what does Safe mode do? See Diagnosing problems- crash, freeze, panic, or spinning beach ball?, Don’t Panic! Understanding & Troubleshooting Kernel Panics in macOSHow to fix kernel panics after installing OS X updates | MacIssues, and If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support.

Kernel panics are indicative of possible hardware failure, so you should Check your Mac with hardware diagnostics or AHT. Kernel panic logs are found in: /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ folder.

If you have no success figuring what is happening then you may need to examine the software you have running when the panics occur. Be sure it’s all current. If you must to resolve the problem erase the disk and reinstall macOS. Follow this outline to reset the computer to the factory-new state: Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support.

Boot Into Safe Mode

1. If your Mac isn’t already shut down, then shut it down and wait at least 30 seconds before rebooting.
  2. Immediately, at or before the chime, press and hold down the SHIFT key. 
  3. Release the key after the Apple logo and progress bar appear.
  4. Safe mode startup is much slower than normal startup, so be patient.
  5. When the Login Screen appears enter your admin password. If you use automatic login, then this means you are in safe mode.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2020 8:22 PM in response to jso_8910

First, you need to upgrade VBox. You're a little behind. You may need to check how current your Adobe software is.

Dealing with Kernel Panics

Disconnect any third-party peripherals including any USB hubs. How to use safe mode on your Mac, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support then boot the computer into Safe Mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support and Playing Safe- what does Safe mode do? See Diagnosing problems- crash, freeze, panic, or spinning beach ball?, Don’t Panic! Understanding & Troubleshooting Kernel Panics in macOSHow to fix kernel panics after installing OS X updates | MacIssues, and If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support.

Kernel panics are indicative of possible hardware failure, so you should Check your Mac with hardware diagnostics or AHT. Kernel panic logs are found in: /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ folder.

If you have no success figuring what is happening then you may need to examine the software you have running when the panics occur. Be sure it’s all current. If you must to resolve the problem erase the disk and reinstall macOS. Follow this outline to reset the computer to the factory-new state: Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support.

Boot Into Safe Mode

1. If your Mac isn’t already shut down, then shut it down and wait at least 30 seconds before rebooting.
  2. Immediately, at or before the chime, press and hold down the SHIFT key. 
  3. Release the key after the Apple logo and progress bar appear.
  4. Safe mode startup is much slower than normal startup, so be patient.
  5. When the Login Screen appears enter your admin password. If you use automatic login, then this means you are in safe mode.

Aug 13, 2020 10:15 AM in response to jso_8910

If you read the linked articles about safe mode, they will answer your questions about what to expect when you boot into safe mode.

If you think it's bad RAM, then run the hardware test to see if it picks up an error. You should run the memory test for 24 continuous hours. Defective RAM can be hard to pick up. See Apple Hardware Test.

Maybe you should stop using FireFox and Discord to see if that stops the panics.

Your pastern link is not accessible.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a message that it restarted or shut down because of a problem - Apple Support

Aug 12, 2020 9:48 PM in response to Kappy

Will safe mode prevent me from using my own installed software? I really don't want to have a useless computer while I wait for it to crash again. I think it is a RAM problem from what I have seen. I'm just going to delete VirtualBox because I don't use it. I found this panic log from today (or last night) in the logs folder. It says there is an bug type of 210, which means some prefrences are messed up or an installed application is having an issue. I don't know what would be having an issue out of Firefox, and Discord. Discord is the only ever common open app during the crashes, as I recently switched to Firefox. Maybe also Terminal is always open. It seems to be something RAM related is all I can find about text of the actual report sent to Apple.

Using a pastebin because the file is too large

https://pastebin.pl/view/6709e384

Edit: I forgot to mention this, but what happens is the screen goes black, it buzzes in my ears, and goes to the restarted because of a problem screen.

Why am I getting type 14 kernel panics constantly on MacOS 10.15.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.