Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem after software update 12.4.8

Is this the end of the line for updates for the iPad Air? I have already gotten notices that apps require IOS 13 but that is not available. Will it ever be? And, as another customer noted, apps may be able to correct the problem but I am not delighted to have to ask app developers to handle this. So far, I have noted Facebook and Solitaire (MobilityWare) closing abruptly.

iPad Air WiFi Cell TD-LTE

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 2:58 PM

Thank you. In fact I have ordered a new one. I hope I can continue to use the old one for a few things but it doesn’t look promising. 6 years isn’t bad, though! Hard to believe it has been that long. Thanks for the advice!

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 13, 2020 8:46 AM in response to Obi_8306

A first generation iPad Air can only be updated to iOS 12.4.8.

Apple ended major update support for iPad Air1 in September 2019 - however, there have been several “point” security updates since then; iOS 12.4.8 was the last update.

An iPad Air1 cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for the newer versions of iOS/iPadOS. The Air1 has 1GB RAM; 2GB minimum is required for iPadOS13.x.

Some App developers have dropped support for iOS versions preceding iOS 13.x for technical reasons (often because APIs or software libraries upon which they rely have been updated in the new version of iPadOS, making their App incompatible with earlier versions). 

Whilst many App titles remain compatible with your iPad Air1, if you want or need to access to Apps requiring the most recent versions of iOS, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model that supports iPadOS13.x.

Sorry, I appreciate that this may not be what you were hoping to learn.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity as to your available options - and the limitations of your existing iPad Air.

Aug 13, 2020 1:56 PM in response to Obi_8306

The 2013, iPad Air 1st generation has internal hardware that is too old and too underpowered to handle all the new and advanced features of iPadOS.

Sorry, but that iPad will never get any updates beyond iOS 12.x.x.

If you need an iPad that can run the latest and greatest versions of iOS/iPadOS, as well as the most current apps available, then you need to purchase a new iPad from Apple or a discounted, refurbished iPad from Apple’s Refurbished & Clearance section of Apple’s Website or a new or refurbished iPad from an Apple authorised, third party retail or online reseller OR other trusted sources for new or used Apple products.

If you must purchase older, used iPad models, DO NOT look at anything older than a 2014 iPad Air 2 or 2015 iPad Mini 4.

Both of these models are the oldest iPad models that the up and coming iPadOS 14 will support, in the Fall of 2020.

If you must purchased used devices from unknown, untrusted sources, you must ask A WHOLE LOT more questions of the iOS device seller, ask for more photo/images, ask if the iPad has user/iCloud activation lock and ask for photos/images/short video proof, ANY POSITIVE, UNQUESTIONABLE, VISUAL PROOF, that such an iPad has been reset to factory settings and shown proof of the iOS device's start up screen showing the animated, moving, multi-language “Hello” Welcome to iPad screen.

If the iOS device seller is unwilling to do all of this to show you that the iPad, in question, is ready to use with no barriers to new user activation and use, pass on the iOS device and look at other iOS device sellers, elsewhere, who will be more accommodating to answering questions and providing visual image or video proof of a proper factory reset iPad.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Problem after software update 12.4.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.