Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

accidently deleted macintosh HD data

Hi I have accidently deleted my HD data on my 2015 4k imac running catalina. when I try to repair using disc utility it says unable to unlock disc and will not repair it and i do not have a time machine backup. Can I get my system back up and running with the files as was without having to do a fresh install as i was in the middle of a new project.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 11:01 AM

Do you mean you erased the Macintosh HD - Data volume or that you deleted the volume in Disk Utility?

If the former, then the volume is still present. You can restore its content from your backup. However, if it's the latter, then you need to reinstall macOS. If you have no backup, then your data are gone, and you need to reinstall macOS.

Install macOS from Scratch

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size info) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  6. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  7. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  8. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  9. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2020 11:01 AM in response to cor1455

Do you mean you erased the Macintosh HD - Data volume or that you deleted the volume in Disk Utility?

If the former, then the volume is still present. You can restore its content from your backup. However, if it's the latter, then you need to reinstall macOS. If you have no backup, then your data are gone, and you need to reinstall macOS.

Install macOS from Scratch

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size info) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  6. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  7. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  8. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  9. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Aug 13, 2020 11:24 AM in response to Kappy

yes i was wondering why my computer was running out of disk space and after investigating I saw Macintosh HD Data in disk utility. I thought it was just a duplicate of my normal drive and i could delete so i used the minus key in disk utility and deleted it!. now i know better and that catalina needs it. I have tried repairing the original macintosh HD in disk utility but when i do it says its unable to unlock disk. My system will not start now.

Aug 13, 2020 11:32 AM in response to cor1455

You do have a Time Machine backup don't you? If you do not you are about to learn a painful lesson on why backing up is absolutely critical. If you have a back, simply restart in the Recovery Partition (Command + R on Startup) then restore from your Time Machine backup. If you do not have a backup, you system and all of its applications and data are gone. If you happen to use iCould for your data, you may have preserved some of that.

accidently deleted macintosh HD data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.