Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 13.1.2 Doesn't really clear cookies, why not?

Clear ALL History. Clear cookies manually via Preferences (Manage Website Data). Close Safari and relaunch. All previous cookies are back. Is this a known bug or a trick to make you think you have deleted all cookies? I like Safari, but this kind of thing doesn't happen with Firefox. What's up? OS 10.15.6

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 1:22 PM

You cannot clear all cookies as long as there is any web site still appearing in a browser window or tab, as the site will simply reset the cookie[s] when it notices they have been removed.

Quit Safari. Press and hold the shift key when launching Safari again. Now, clear the browser cache (option_ cmd+E), and clear history -> all history. You will notice that there are no cookies shown in Safari Preferences : Privacy : Manage Website Data… . Assumption: You have Safari Preferences : Advanced : [√] Show Develop menu in menu bar set.

Repeat the second paragraph only when you wish to eradicate all history, browser cache, and cookies. Tested with Safari 13.1.2.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2020 1:22 PM in response to Chris Doyle

You cannot clear all cookies as long as there is any web site still appearing in a browser window or tab, as the site will simply reset the cookie[s] when it notices they have been removed.

Quit Safari. Press and hold the shift key when launching Safari again. Now, clear the browser cache (option_ cmd+E), and clear history -> all history. You will notice that there are no cookies shown in Safari Preferences : Privacy : Manage Website Data… . Assumption: You have Safari Preferences : Advanced : [√] Show Develop menu in menu bar set.

Repeat the second paragraph only when you wish to eradicate all history, browser cache, and cookies. Tested with Safari 13.1.2.

Aug 14, 2020 6:58 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks Viking. I've noticed that, but this happens even when I close Safari etc. I've deleted All History, shut Safari and then had them reappear..... Thank you for the Keyboard Shortcuts, I appreciate it.

I guess I'm just ticked off that it requires so many hoops to be jumped through, yet the freakin' cookies rise from the dead nonetheless. I suppose I'm tilting at windmills ;-)

Aug 15, 2020 1:39 AM in response to Chris Doyle

You need to quit Safari before clearing history and cache, and then relaunch with the procedure that I previously mentioned. I do not have any cookies being reset following that protocol. I have checked, and they are not present. My browser is configured to present a blank page when launched normally.

Many years ago, Apple offered a feature in Safari that with one click, it would clear history, cookies, and (possibly) browser cache. That was too user friendly and practical, so it was removed. I am typing this in Firefox 79, which can be configured to wipe everything with a History menu -> Clear History… selection.

Aug 15, 2020 7:03 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi Viking.....thanks again on the response. It just seems like an awful lot of moves to attain a clean slate without a cookie reset....as in, intentional. I remember the old one click button on Safari. I'm surprised a hack hasn't come along to mirror that feature. I'm not up to anything nefarious, I just like to limit my trail on the old internet. I use Firefox (79) for banking etc., but I like some of the conveniences of Safari.....sad to see Apple comply with the cookie monsters! Have a great weekend, Chris

Safari 13.1.2 Doesn't really clear cookies, why not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.