Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't put AirPort Express into client mode.

I followed the instructions for putting an AirPort Express into client mode (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201621 for AirPort Utility 6) and my AirPort Express ended up extending the network instead of operating in client mode. What could I be doing wrong?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 3:06 PM

Don't 'know that I can explain "why", but I do know that if I put my Express in "client mode", the speed on the network drops by 50-60% compared to when the Express is in Extend a wireless network". (My Mac is connected to a close by AirPort, so it's not a case of signal strength or distance).

Been working on this forum for 12+ years, so we've learned a thing or two along the way.

We have also seen numerous other reports from other users who report the same type of occurrence. A guess would be that the Express "reserves" a chunk of bandwidth for devices that will be connecting via Ethernet to the Express.

If you are only using the Express for an Ethernet connection to devices, and you cannot run the Ethernet cable, you might want to think about using a pair of Ethernet over powerline adapters. This is a far better solution than trying to use WiFi and then converting to Ethernet.

By the way, we've heard the talk that "extending" a network will cause a drop of half of the speed on the network.....but that's another one that I have never been able to prove. But, that might be another discussion.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2020 3:06 PM in response to confusionexpress

Don't 'know that I can explain "why", but I do know that if I put my Express in "client mode", the speed on the network drops by 50-60% compared to when the Express is in Extend a wireless network". (My Mac is connected to a close by AirPort, so it's not a case of signal strength or distance).

Been working on this forum for 12+ years, so we've learned a thing or two along the way.

We have also seen numerous other reports from other users who report the same type of occurrence. A guess would be that the Express "reserves" a chunk of bandwidth for devices that will be connecting via Ethernet to the Express.

If you are only using the Express for an Ethernet connection to devices, and you cannot run the Ethernet cable, you might want to think about using a pair of Ethernet over powerline adapters. This is a far better solution than trying to use WiFi and then converting to Ethernet.

By the way, we've heard the talk that "extending" a network will cause a drop of half of the speed on the network.....but that's another one that I have never been able to prove. But, that might be another discussion.

Aug 13, 2020 2:20 PM in response to confusionexpress

Ignore Apple's confusing "support" page and simply change the setting for Wireless from "Extend a wireless network" to "Join a wireless network". Click Update to save the changes and give the Express a minute to restart.

Of course, Apple never bothers to explain that in AirPort Utility 6.x, "Join a wireless network" is in fact what they call Client Mode. They also don't bother to explain that the Express is a "client" when it is also set up to "Extend a wireless network". Goofy.

This is going to slow down your network considerably, and you will lose the additional WiFi signal coverage that the Express provides when it extends the network.

Not sure why you would want to do this, but it's your call.

Aug 13, 2020 2:25 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks, Bob. I tried changing the wireless setting to "Join a wireless network" and the AirPort Express doesn't connect to the network. It shows two errors: "Internet Connection" and "No DNS Servers". If it matters, my Time Capsule that creates the wifi network is in bridge mode. It's connected upstream by Ethernet to a router that I can't control.

Why I want to do this is that I understand that network throughput can be reduced dramatically for computers connected to the network-extending AirPort Express, I suppose because of the double hop from there through the Time Capsule to the internet. If there's a way for me to force my computer to always connect directly to the Time Capsule I'd do that and forget about client mode in the AirPort Express.

Aug 13, 2020 2:38 PM in response to confusionexpress

Why I want to do this is that I understand that network throughput can be reduced dramatically for computers connected to the network-extending AirPort Express

"Client Mode" will use up more bandwidth than "Extend a wireless network".......another tidbit that Apple never bothers to mention to common folk.

If it matters, my Time Capsule that creates the wifi network is in bridge mode. It's connected upstream by Ethernet to a router that I can't control.

Matters a lot, since the upstream router is in charge of assigning a new IP address to the AirPort Express after any configuration change. At a minimum, you really need to restart the router after you make any kind of changes like this. If you can't restart the router, then power off the Express and try restarting the Time Capsule. Then, power up the Express again.

If you have a laptop, temporarily turn off the WiFi and locate it so that it is closer to the Time Capsule, then turn the WiFi back on and the device will usually pick up a signal from the closest access point.

If you are using the Express for AirPlay, the best way to connect the Express is via Ethernet back to the Time Capsule. Then, you can turn off the WiFi altogether on the Express and it won't be such a drain on the network.

Aug 13, 2020 2:50 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Can you explain why a device in client mode will inherently consume a lot of network resources? It's counter-intuitive to me, whereas the extended network slowdown is intuitive.

I need the AirPort Express to connect my solar energy equipment to the internet. The solar equipment does not do wifi and it's too far (through walls and floors) from the Time Capsule for a wired Ethernet to be practical.

I'll try restarting the router and let you know if that helps. That I can do, but I can't reconfigure it to be a bridge.

Aug 13, 2020 5:20 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, thanks for your prompt, thoughtful responses. Anticipating restarting my router, I put my AirPort Express back into "Join a wireless network" mode and it just started working. I didn't need to restart anything, and it's properly operating in client mode. I suppose I was just impatient the past couple of times I tried it; the router apparently was just slow in providing an IP address.

I did a couple of speed tests on my laptop now connected directly to the Time Capsule, one with the AirPort Express in client mode, and one with the AirPort Express unplugged and absent from the network. The two tests produced essentially the same results, so the client-mode slowdown isn't affecting me. I'm happy with this setup. Thanks again.

Aug 13, 2020 5:31 PM in response to confusionexpress

Good news. Your "test" tells me that your Internet connection is less than 100 Mbps. If it were 200 Mbps, the most that you would see from the Ethernet port on the Express would be 100 Mbps.

On a 300 Mbps Internet connection here, the Express set up to "join" the wireless network delivers 84 Mbps at the Ethernet port. Ouch.

Can't put AirPort Express into client mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.