Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my screen split down the middle? How can I restore it to full size?

Why don’t I get a full screen anymore? My screen is split vertically down the middle.

iPad Air, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 8:18 PM

Do you have spilt screen turned on/activated?

• If you already have two apps on the screen side-by-side with a divider between them and want to close one of them, drag the bar all the way to the right or left. If you drag it to the right, you'll close the app on the right. If you drag it all the way to the left, you'll close the app on the left. In both cases, the app that's left open will go full screen.

If you want to turn off split screen on your iPad permanently:

1. Open Settings
  2. Tap "General," > "Homescreen & Dock," > "Multitasking."
  3. Turn off "Allow Multiple Apps" by sliding the switch to the left.

-- JDee

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2020 8:18 PM in response to PF88

Do you have spilt screen turned on/activated?

• If you already have two apps on the screen side-by-side with a divider between them and want to close one of them, drag the bar all the way to the right or left. If you drag it to the right, you'll close the app on the right. If you drag it all the way to the left, you'll close the app on the left. In both cases, the app that's left open will go full screen.

If you want to turn off split screen on your iPad permanently:

1. Open Settings
  2. Tap "General," > "Homescreen & Dock," > "Multitasking."
  3. Turn off "Allow Multiple Apps" by sliding the switch to the left.

-- JDee

Aug 14, 2020 3:57 PM in response to PF88

Turn Multitasking features on or off

To turn Multitasking features on or off, go to Settings > Home Screen & Dock > Multitasking, then you can do the following:

• Allow Multiple Apps: Turn off if you don't want to use Slide Over or Split View.
  • Picture in Picture: Turn off if you don't want to use Picture in Picture.
  • Gestures: Turn off if you don't want to use Multitasking gestures to see the app switcher, return to the Home screen, and more.

In Settings > Home Screen & Dock, you can turn on Show Suggested and Recent Apps in Dock to see recently used apps on the right side of the Dock.

Why is my screen split down the middle? How can I restore it to full size?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.