You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can you tell a product color from the serial number/ model number

If i give information from my Setting>general>about page could people use information from there (seria, modle number or otherwise) to determine my ipad color?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 9:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 5:22 AM

Yes - a model (order) number can be used to reveal the colour and other specifications of an iPad.

The “A” number identifies only the generic model - however, the Model Order number (e.g., MPME2B/A) reveals a lot more information about the device - such as the intended market (country/region), its colour and its internal storage. Armed with Apple’s Model Order Number, a Google search is often all that is required to discover the specific details.

Both model numbers are exposed in recent versions of iOS/iPadOS:

Settings > General > About - tap on the model number field to switch between the Model Number and the Model Order Number.

I hope this information proves to be helpful.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 14, 2020 5:22 AM in response to naila210

Yes - a model (order) number can be used to reveal the colour and other specifications of an iPad.

The “A” number identifies only the generic model - however, the Model Order number (e.g., MPME2B/A) reveals a lot more information about the device - such as the intended market (country/region), its colour and its internal storage. Armed with Apple’s Model Order Number, a Google search is often all that is required to discover the specific details.

Both model numbers are exposed in recent versions of iOS/iPadOS:

Settings > General > About - tap on the model number field to switch between the Model Number and the Model Order Number.

I hope this information proves to be helpful.

can you tell a product color from the serial number/ model number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.