Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it no matter how much storage I buy my iPhone still full smh

I almost clear out all my videos n photo out my phone an it still keep sayin your storage full

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 7:40 AM

You are buying iCloud Storage space. iCloud does NOT expand the internal storage available for your device. It is meant for syncing and backing up of your device. Not to install additional apps or music to your device. iCloud CAN save you room on your device if you are using certain services correctly and have enough available storage on your phone for them to do their job correct. Case in point, since you have iCloud storage, do you have iCloud photos enabled? If so, use the optimize storage function. This stores a thumbnail of your pictures on your device instead of the full image, and if you select it, requires a little WIFI or cellular data to buffer the full image in for viewing, then its buffered back out, just like a web page. I have a 50gb+ photo library, and it only occupies 2gb on my phone as a result. But that requires the device to have room to think. If you are already nearing or at the limit of storage, remove a couple inconsequential apps that don't have any losable data, Facebook, messenger, Netflix, Hulu, and so on, let the device manage its storage and photos for 24-48 hours and then you should be fine.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 7:40 AM in response to Ratigan23

You are buying iCloud Storage space. iCloud does NOT expand the internal storage available for your device. It is meant for syncing and backing up of your device. Not to install additional apps or music to your device. iCloud CAN save you room on your device if you are using certain services correctly and have enough available storage on your phone for them to do their job correct. Case in point, since you have iCloud storage, do you have iCloud photos enabled? If so, use the optimize storage function. This stores a thumbnail of your pictures on your device instead of the full image, and if you select it, requires a little WIFI or cellular data to buffer the full image in for viewing, then its buffered back out, just like a web page. I have a 50gb+ photo library, and it only occupies 2gb on my phone as a result. But that requires the device to have room to think. If you are already nearing or at the limit of storage, remove a couple inconsequential apps that don't have any losable data, Facebook, messenger, Netflix, Hulu, and so on, let the device manage its storage and photos for 24-48 hours and then you should be fine.

Why is it no matter how much storage I buy my iPhone still full smh

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.