Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password requests

Why does my hotmail email account keep asking for a password only on my Mac; I can get email on my IPhone. I put the password in which is correct but it rejects it. I know it's the right password because when I sign on to Outlook account it goes through.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 5:04 PM

It's a sad feature if Mail on Macs.

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

Restart to clear some caches.

The big bugaboo with Mail is finding the keychain for any auto setup Mail accounts, if IMAP it usually involves deleting the account & setting it up again to fix it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 5:04 PM in response to CADreaming

It's a sad feature if Mail on Macs.

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

Restart to clear some caches.

The big bugaboo with Mail is finding the keychain for any auto setup Mail accounts, if IMAP it usually involves deleting the account & setting it up again to fix it.

Password requests

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.