Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How am I supposed know what software will and won't be compatible?

I updated and it told me I have software that won't be upgraded next time around contact the software developers. Who and what would I contact?

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 2:01 PM

Are you asking because of a "legacy extension" warning? You need do nothing. See:

About legacy system extensions - Apple Support

If you still feel a need to see what they are, do "About this Mac..." from your Apple menu and, in the resulting window, click the "System Report" button. That opens ite built-in utility, "System Information."

In that app's left-hand pane, scroll down the left pane to "Software" and, if needed, click the little arrowhead to expand the section. Find "Extensions" (see below) and select it.

Now you get to wait. The extensions info is a slow load. Have a good stretch. Once they display, click the "Obtained from" column heading to sort by the developer. 

We can assume Apple will deal with theirs. That leaves a few from other developers, Some are used internally by Apple so we can expect them to be compliant in time for the changeover as well. The Logitech web page says their software will be compliant by the time the changes required.

Even with this info at hand, you still need do nothing.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 2:01 PM in response to tjmckenziecom

Are you asking because of a "legacy extension" warning? You need do nothing. See:

About legacy system extensions - Apple Support

If you still feel a need to see what they are, do "About this Mac..." from your Apple menu and, in the resulting window, click the "System Report" button. That opens ite built-in utility, "System Information."

In that app's left-hand pane, scroll down the left pane to "Software" and, if needed, click the little arrowhead to expand the section. Find "Extensions" (see below) and select it.

Now you get to wait. The extensions info is a slow load. Have a good stretch. Once they display, click the "Obtained from" column heading to sort by the developer. 

We can assume Apple will deal with theirs. That leaves a few from other developers, Some are used internally by Apple so we can expect them to be compliant in time for the changeover as well. The Logitech web page says their software will be compliant by the time the changes required.

Even with this info at hand, you still need do nothing.

Aug 14, 2020 1:21 PM in response to tjmckenziecom

Whoever are the developers or purveyors of the individual software application. We don't know who that would be. See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Please read Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question. We are here to help. We are all users. We are not mind-readers nor clairvoyants. We only know what you write down and tell us. Be specific and thorough. Try to write clearly. Think about what you want to say before you write it down, then re-read it to see if it makes sense. We need the following at a minimum:

• What specific product model do you have? Avoid just saying, "iPhone or Mac," because that doesn't describe it uniquely.
  • Tell us the version of iOS or Mac OS that you have installed on your machine.
  • Provide a short but complete summary of your question, problem, or issue. (No complaints, please.)
  • Give us all the details of your question, problem, or issue. Make your descriptions clear and precise but don't be wordy. Like Joe Friday used to say, "Just the facts." Be sure you provide any other details that we should know.
  • Detail what you have tried, so far, to solve your problem even if it's "nothing."

If English is your second or third language, please let us know. Perhaps you would be better served by posting in your native language. If you do, then understand that getting a reply may take more time. Most of the helpers are native English speakers but some of us are bi- or multi-lingual.

FYI: These are user-only communities. This is not Apple Support. if you need to contact Apple Support, then contact product and tech supportContacting Apple for support and service includes international calling numbers.

The Apple Support Communities only provides help for users of Apple products. Apple does not read theae forums. If you wish to provide feedback to Apple, then go to Apple Feedback. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Aug 14, 2020 1:22 PM in response to tjmckenziecom

Generally, the alert should tell you which apps are using deprecated system calls, and that should give you an idea of who to talk to - start with the web site of the app in question.

You can also use System Information.app to get a list of all installed applications - this will also give you an idea of where they came from - e.g. 'Apple', 'Identified Developer', 'Mac App Store', etc.

Apple should keep their own software up to date, so they're unlikely to be a problem.

'Identified developer' should show the name of the developer, which may help track down their support

'Mac App Store' apps should be automatically updated (assuming you have this enabled), and you can use the App Store app to find the developer information if you want to reach out to them directly.

Aug 14, 2020 1:44 PM in response to Camelot

Mac 10.15.6 MacBook Pro 2016 - That's what I thought this one didn't so that is why I asked, I wish I made a copy of the message. It mentioned why it wouldn't be kernal something another but not which software. I have the main ones like adobe which is usually update accordingly but like fetch my ftp utility might not or something of that caliber. It would be a drag when I need to upload to a client and something doesn't work. Thanks

How am I supposed know what software will and won't be compatible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.